Views
Helpful
Replies

Wildcard SSL unable to install on ASA 5510

chris.perez86
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I have never worked with a ASA firewall server or SSL certification installation. I have spent a great deal of time reading and watching related content. 

First, I do not have access to the appliance and I have to work with an engineer to access and install on the ASA 5510. The engineer has generated a CSR from the ASA 5510 under Certificate Management > Identity Certificates. I have submitted the CSR to the SSL company. The CSR was received, validated, and a Zip file with three CRT files was downloaded. I provided the engineer with the Zip file, he extracted the three CRT files but states he cannot install them. The engineer has provided a screenshot of the ASA pop-up window and it requires an "identity certificate from a file (PKCS12 format with Certificate(s)+Private Key)." 

I am stuck. I have re-issued the SSL certificate from my SSL company three times and the engineer states they are unable to install the certificates because the certificates do not meet the criteria. I watched the engineer, under Certificate Management > Identity Certificates > Install button on pending certificate, copy-paste the CRT file contents into the textbox and click install certificate. The results are an error (apologizes, I did not note the error message). I would love some feedback, advice, anything.

Thank you for your time. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The error message shown would be if you were trying to import a certificate where the CSR was not generated on the ASA itself.

If you install onto a pending certificate (i.e., where you have already created the CSR), the ASA won't require the private key since it is already on the appliance.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The error message shown would be if you were trying to import a certificate where the CSR was not generated on the ASA itself.

If you install onto a pending certificate (i.e., where you have already created the CSR), the ASA won't require the private key since it is already on the appliance.

*Update*

I had the engineer re-created the CSR and the SSL company re-issue the CRT Zip file. I watched the engineer successfully install the files on the "pending" CSR under Identity Certificates. There were zero errors and the pop-up window requesting additional certificate information never presented itself. I would deem this a process problem not an appliance problem. I validated my webpage is now secure and the certificate information is accurate.

Thank you Marvin for your response.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card