Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-SVC-ASA-SM1 login issue

lee.clack
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I'm having an issue with standing up a new C6509-E containing Dual SUP-2T 10G supervisor engines and both ACE30 load balancers and ASA service module (WS-SVC-ASA-SM1)

On initial boot the Sup wouldn't recognise either of these cards (it still doesn't recognise the ACE but that's another issue). After upgrading the IOS to s2t54-ipservicesk9-mz.SPA.150-1.SY1 & FDP to c6500-fpd-pkg.150-1.SY1.pkg the module is now showing as Status OK.

However, when i log onto the module using "session slot 3 processor 0" i get a prompt

SVC-APP-HW-3>,  when i type en or enable i get an output "% no password set" & i am unable to login to enable mode or make any configuration changes on the module.

Cisco Website states that the enable password is blank by default, however i would expect to see a prompt which you just enter through.

There is no direct console access onto the module, so i am unable to work on the module.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Lee

2 Replies 2

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try the command: "attach slot 3 proc 0" instead of the session command.

aukhadiev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, lee clack...

I have the same issue with installation ASA service module (WS-SVC-ASA-SM1) to the new c6509-V-E with Supervisor Engine 2T.
Everything as you described...

After upgrading the IOS and FPD image everything seems to look normal, the status of the module is OK, but I could not logging into the ASA-SM from the switch CLI as described in "Quick Start Guide" - "session slot 3 processor 1":

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying 127.0.0.31 ...

% Connection timed out; remote host not responding

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you describe, I was able to get into "SVC-APP-HW-3>" by "session slot 3 processor 0" and even (how to write

Jennifer Halim) into "SVC-APP-HW-3#" by "attach 3"...

But that's not what I expected, it is not  ASA-SM CLI...

So by reading "Cisco ASA Services Module CLI Configuration Guide" found second connection methods - virtual console connection - using the "service-module session slot 3" ... Yes, it worked, I see now something that i wanted to see:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can type Ctrl-^, then x at the remote prompt to end the session
Trying 127.0.0.30, 2065 ... Open

ciscoasa> enable

Password:

ciscoasa#

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzing further, I found that in document "Release Notes for the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series ASA Services Module, 8.5(x)" we can see (under New Features in Version 8.5(1.7)):

Hardware Features - Support for the Catalyst 6500 Supervisor 2T... The ASA now interoperates with the Catalyst 6500 Supervisor 2T

The current version of my module is 8.5.1 !!!

After upgrading ASA image to version 8.5(1.7) everything fell into place...

Now both methods work:

• Telnet connection - Using the session command "session slot 3 processor 0"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Router#session slot 3 processor 1

The default escape character is Ctrl-^, then x.

You can also type 'exit' at the remote prompt to end the session

Trying 127.0.0.31 ... Open

User Access Verification

Password:

Type help or '?' for a list of available commands.

ciscoasa>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Virtual console connection- Using the service-module session command "service-module session slot 3"

Router#service-module session slot 3

You can type Ctrl-^, then x at the remote prompt to end the session

Trying 127.0.0.30, 2065 ... Open

ciscoasa>

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card