Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
frbello
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Since my discovery of TRex as a tool for performance testing, I've embraced myself the task to test my own lab appliances with it.

TRex Documentation has this diagram depicting how to test a device using it:

TREX_Output04.png

The big challenge is, as today my current setup doesn't use 10Gb interfaces, so neither my UCS Server hosting my TRex VM nor my lab security appliances use high speed interface.

My deployment for TRex is pretty straightforward: a TRex VM running the latest version (v2.32 as the time of this writing), using PCI Passthrough for direct I/O a pair of physical interfaces in the VMware host.

My Current TRex setup looks like this

Slide02.png

So here is the config I've use to test FTD appliances, running on ASA hardware (mostly 5508 and 5515). I'm assuming here the reader already has a working deployment of Firepower Management Center and at least a Device is already registered on the FMC.

The process in Firepower Management Center (aka FMC) is as follow

1. Create Objects
  2. Configure FTD Interfaces to match TRex configuration
  3. Configure Static Routing for TRex Clients and Server
  4. Configure Access Policy to match TRex traffic in both side

Create Objects

Go to Firepower Management Center (aka FMC) Objects -> Object Management and create objects for the following:

• A Host Object for TRex CLIENTS GATEWAY IP (TREX_CLT_GWY)
  • A Host Object for TRex SERVERS GATEWAY IP (TREX_SVR_GWY)
  • A network Object for TRex CLIENTS NETWORK (TREX_CLIENTS)
  • A network Object for TRex SERVER NETWORK (TREX_SERVER)

See the following image

Slide04.png

Configure FTD Device Interfaces and Routing

in FMC go to Device Management -> Interfaces and configure the interface for the device accordingly with your configuration on TRex. This will be the next-hop ip TRex will use to send traffic to each side (Client/Server)

Slide05.png

Also a static route is required, so go to Routing tab and configure it as follow

Slide07.png

Create the Access Policy for TRex traffic

Due the nature of the test (Performance), a bi directional  "any-to-any" rule will be enough to verify traffic passing over the DUT. Your ACP should looks like this:

Slide08.png

The rule composition looks like this

Slide09.png

And the logging enable is required to see traffic in FMC

Slide10.png

After this remember to DEPLOY THE CHANGES to Device

TRex Side

On the TRex VM I created a YAML file matching the FTD Device interface and routing configuration

# cat /etc/ftd_trex_cfg.yaml

### Config file generated by dpdk_setup_ports.py ###

- port_limit: 2

version: 2

interfaces: ['1b:00.0', '1b:00.1']

port_info:

- ip: 11.11.11.2

default_gw: 11.11.11.10

- ip: 12.12.12.2

default_gw: 12.12.12.10

platform:

master_thread_id: 0

latency_thread_id: 1

dual_if:

- socket: 0

threads: [2,3,4,5,6,7]

Finally, I use this command to test my device with TREX. I'm using the astf option to run all the testing,

# ./t-rex-64 --cfg /etc/ftd_trex_cfg.yaml -f astf/http_simple.py -m 130 -d 120 -c 1 --astf -l 1 -k 10 --l-pkt-mode 2

In this case I'm using the http_simple.py just for verification that everything is working, but additional test with IMIX profile can be run and created by using scapy library.

This test is trying to send 100mbps (-m 130) during 2 minutes (-d 120) and latency test using ICMP (--l-pkt-mode 2, as suggested by Hanoch Haim)

Regarding the http_simple.py, this profile comprise a http conversation of approximately 35Kb in 37 packets. The profile is able to create 2.78 connection per seconds (cps), and for traffic it creates 0.77Mbps or 0.10MBps.

How do you get that info?

Well you can use several tools like tshark.  Also TRex has a nice command line that give you all these details.

Why this is important?

Because with this you can calculate the value of the -m parameter to properly send the amount of traffic you are trying to test on the DUT.

Running this command

# ./bp-sim-64-debug -f cap2/http_simple.yaml -o my.erf -v 3

now you can have the profile of the pcap file:

Trex_Output06.png

So now it is easy to amplify the traffic by modifying the -m value to the desire amount.

In my case I'd like to generate 100 Mbps, then I need a value of -m 130 which is equivalent of ~100.1 mbps

Once the test start, this is how it  looks on the terminal

Trex_Output01.png

If you press "T" during the test, then you have the counter information in a nice layout (Thanks TRex Team!!)

TREX_Output02.png

Here is a Graph from FMC registering the test activity

TREX_Output03.png

Some useful commands on the FTD/ASA side are

show asp drop

> show asp drop

Frame drop:

Flow is denied by configured rule (acl-drop)                          13811230

DNS Inspect id not matched (inspect-dns-id-not-matched)               13810982

Last clearing: 20:27:06 UTC Nov 24 2017 by enable_1

Flow drop:

Last clearing: 20:27:06 UTC Nov 24 2017 by enable_1

>

show traffic

> show traffic

dut_clients:

received (in 53.770 secs):

834594 packets 33383760 bytes

15521 pkts/sec 620862 bytes/sec

transmitted (in 53.770 secs):

0 packets 0 bytes

0 pkts/sec 0 bytes/sec

1 minute input rate 0 pkts/sec,  0 bytes/sec

1 minute output rate 0 pkts/sec,  0 bytes/sec

1 minute drop rate, 0 pkts/sec

5 minute input rate 0 pkts/sec,  0 bytes/sec

5 minute output rate 0 pkts/sec,  0 bytes/sec

5 minute drop rate, 0 pkts/sec

dut_servers:

received (in 53.770 secs):

834993 packets 33399720 bytes

15528 pkts/sec 621159 bytes/sec

transmitted (in 53.770 secs):

0 packets 0 bytes

0 pkts/sec 0 bytes/sec

1 minute input rate 0 pkts/sec,  0 bytes/sec

1 minute output rate 0 pkts/sec,  0 bytes/sec

1 minute drop rate, 0 pkts/sec

5 minute input rate 0 pkts/sec,  0 bytes/sec

5 minute output rate 0 pkts/sec,  0 bytes/sec

5 minute drop rate, 0 pkts/sec

Another useful command

tshark to evaluate the pcap file

# tshark -r avl/delay_10_http_browsing_0.pcap -z io,stat,0,"SUM(frame.len)frame.len"

Trex_Output07.png

Final thoughts

Maybe TRex has been created with high perf testing use cases in mind, but it is also useful on this kind of scenarios where small appliances need to be put under test quick and easy.

In my current setup I've also modified my config to test small ISR Routers, just to see how flexible is this TRex.

Thanks for this awesome and useful tool.

Freddy Bello M

frbello@cisco.com

Puerto Rico

CSE GSSO

1 Comment
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: