cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
TCC_2
Level 10
Level 10

Core issue

When a PC is connected to a switch port, firstly the port issues an 802.1x authentication challenge to the attached device (the 802.1x supplicant). The supplicant replies with username and password and then an authentication request is passed to a configured Radius server.

The error message can look similar to this:

%DOT1X_SWITCH-5-ERR_ADDING_ADDRESS: Unable to add address [mac address] on Fa0/10

This means that the supplicant MAC address cannot be added. This can happen when the TCAM is full or the address exists as a secure address on another port.

The message can come from the port-security subsystem. In some cases, these messages are generated by switches that run Cisco IOS  Software Release 12.2(25)SEE2.

Resolution

If this message appears only once, then this can be ignored.

In order to resolve this issue, if the hardware is full, remove some Dynamic addresses with the clear mac address-table command, which are automatically added to the address table and dropped from it when they are not in use.

If the supplicant address is secured on another port, manually remove it from that port with the clear port-security command.

For further assistance and support, open a service request with the TAC Service Request Tool.

Comments
Oswaldo Torres
Level 1
Level 1

For me, It does not work this.

I fix this error, changed the host-mode from multi-auth to single-host

ravi gupta
Community Member

I also faced the same problem in IOS 12.2-55.EX2. After removing the "authentication host-mode multi-auth" problem resolved.

But after upgrading to 15.0-2-SE5, no need to remove the multi-auth command.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco