cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fetch SSH host keys in the python part of a service?

bfinnema
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I know how to do fetch of ssh host keys for a device from NSO CLI or using RESTCONF API.

Is it possible to do fetch of ssh host keys from within the python part of a service, i.e. in the myService/python/myService/main.py?

Looking at this one: https://community.cisco.com/t5/nso-developer-hub-discussions/ssh-fetch-host-keys-is-this-function-code-visible/td-p/3425348

But was still unable to figure out how to do it.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rogaglia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You typically do not want to have any device interactions during the critical part of a transaction. Best is to capture the error in the northbound system and do a separate API call to request the keys.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

kiran kotari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi bfinnema,

You can fetch the value as follows

dev = root.devices.device['ios-dev0']
list(dev.ssh.host_key)[0].show_fingerprint().value

Thanks,

Kiran Kumar

rogaglia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You typically do not want to have any device interactions during the critical part of a transaction. Best is to capture the error in the northbound system and do a separate API call to request the keys.

bfinnema
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kiran,

Thank you for the response. This assumes that I have already fetched the host keys and just want to view them. Because I have not done that, I get "IndexError: list index out of range".

What I want to do is fetch the host keys from the device. I have this status of the device:

admin@ncs# devices device asr9001 check-sync
result error
info Failed to authenticate towards device asr9001: Unknown SSH host key

I know I can fetch host keys using CLI like this:

admin@ncs(config)# devices device asr9001 ssh fetch-host-keys

But I want to do it within the python part of a service. How can I do that?

Kind Regards

/Bo

kiran kotari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's straight  fwd, and I have update the output possibility in the above link which u shared.

dev = root.devices.device['asr9001']
output = dev.ssh.fetch_host_keys()
# I have pasted the yang for output possibility in the link u shared
# based on output you can take steps accordingly
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: