Views
Helpful
Replies

Netconf get-config payload to retrieve device config

previousqna
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Team,

I am trying to use netconf-console to retrieve a device config. I was wondering what is the correct <get-config> payload I need to use. I tried a few but I guess I am using a wrong one.

5 Replies 5

previousqna
Level 5
Level 5

Here is an example from my netconf trace file. It gets the config and apply’s a filter of which capabilities to get based upon my yang models. But you can see the structure of the RPC message.

>>>>out 17-Jan-2017::08:47:36.531 device=EPNM session-id=13

<rpc xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0"

message-id="1">

<get-config>

<source>

<running/>

</source>

<filter>

<interfaces xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-interfaces"/>

<push-change-update xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:yang-push:v1"/>

<notification-subscription xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:yang-push:v1"/>

<customer-facing-service xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:si-service:v1"/>

<provision-service-request xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:service:activation:v1"/>

<modify-service-request xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:service:activation:v1"/>

<terminate-service-request xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:service:activation:v1"/>

<provision-service-response xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:service:activation:v1"/>

<modify-service-response xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:service:activation:v1"/>

<terminate-service-response xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:service:activation:v1"/>

<network-interface xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:sb:networkinterface:v1"/>

<customer xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:sb:customer:v1"/>

<ModuleList xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:restconf:resource:physical"/>

<ChassisList xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:restconf:resource:physical"/>

<PhysicalConnectorList xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:restconf:resource:physical"/>

<EquipmentList xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:restconf:resource:physical"/>

<cli-template xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:ra:v1"/>

<config-request xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:ra:v1"/>

<config-response xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:ra:v1"/>

<create-resource-configuration-request xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:ra:v1"/>

<modify-resource-configuration-request xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:ra:v1"/>

<delete-resource-configuration-request xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:ra:v1"/>

<create-resource-configuration-response xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:ra:v1"/>

<modify-resource-configuration-response xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:ra:v1"/>

<delete-resource-configuration-response xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:ra:v1"/>

<qos-profile xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:qos:v1"/>

<qos-policy xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:qos:v1"/>

<topological-link xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:nrf-topology:v1"/>

<virtual-connection-multi-layer-route xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:nrf-topology:v1"/>

<cem-termination-point xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:nrf-tdm-cem-extension:v1"/>

<ipsla-profile-details xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:nrf-ipsla:v1"/>

<response-message xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:nrf-common:v1"/>

<ethernet-flowpoint xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:nrf-ce-extension:v1"/>

<alarm xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:alarms:v1"/>

<alarm-summary-by-category xmlns="urn:cisco:params:xml:ns:yang:alarms:v1"/>

<EntitySettingsList xmlns="urn:cisco:ns:yang:resource:config:nbi"/>

<LogicalResourceList xmlns="urn:cisco:ns:yang:resource:config:nbi"/>

<RestConfigList xmlns="urn:cisco:ns:yang:resource:config:nbi"/>

<PhysicalResourceList xmlns="urn:cisco:ns:yang:resource:config:nbi"/>

<epnm_devices xmlns="http://www.cisco.com/epnm/epnm"/>

</filter>

</get-config>

</rpc>

Here is an example for getting the device config data:

$ netconf-console --get-config -x "/devices/device[name='asr0']"

When I played with this a long time ago, what struck me was the power of using netconf-console as an ad-hoc query interface, e.g.

$ netconf-console --get-config -x //vrf-list/name

This will get the config for all vrf interfaces in your network

$ netconf-console --get-config -x "//GigabitEthernet[vrf='volvo']"

This gives you any GE interface with a vrf named “volvo”

$ netconf-console --get-config -x "/devices/device[name='ce0']/config/interface/GigabitEthernet/description"

This gives you all the interface descriptions for GE interfaces on a device named ce0

Thanks everyone

Ive written some info about netconf-console before.

https://techzone.cisco.com/t5/Network-Services-Orchestrator/Manual-NETCONF-transactions-from-the-northbound-using-netconf/ta-p/893424

I think the interactive mode is great for learning netconf transaction.

Especially with 1.1, it helps a lot because byte length needs to be calculated for 1.1.

I hope this also helps.