cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Timeout after 6s" despite connect-timeout set to 20s

allenc
Level 1
Level 1

Are there multiple timeouts used for the device connection process?  I have global-settings/connect-timeout set to 20 seconds and read-timeout set to 120 seconds.  Sometimes I do indeed get timeouts at 20 seconds.  But I more commonly see timeouts at 6 seconds.  Here are some alarms showing both:

*** ALARM connection-failure: Failed to connect to device foo: connection refused: Timeout after 20s, no response from device in state enable

*** ALARM connection-failure: Failed to connect to device bar: connection refused: Timeout after 6s, no response from device in state login

The two alarms are showing different states, so it would seem that state "login" only has a 6s timeout.  What is this timeout and where can I change it?  (Note: I do not have connect-timeout or read-timeout set at the device level).

Thanks,

-Allen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

allenc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the hints.  This is happening with the cisco-ios NED.  I dug through the source code and then the trace files and determined that the problem is not actually a timeout at all.  For unrelated reasons, devices intermittently return "Authorization failed" after 6 seconds on some login attempts.  That is not one of the "expect patterns" so I think the NED is just categorizing the error as a timeout by default.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's entirely up to the NED to decide what timeouts it wants to use in different places. Most NEDs would of course use the configured values most of the time, but in principle a NED could use some other value for some particular occasion. In this case, however, I'd suspect that the 6s is the write-timeout. Looking in the NED source might give more details. You're not saying which NED you're using, tho.

allenc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the hints.  This is happening with the cisco-ios NED.  I dug through the source code and then the trace files and determined that the problem is not actually a timeout at all.  For unrelated reasons, devices intermittently return "Authorization failed" after 6 seconds on some login attempts.  That is not one of the "expect patterns" so I think the NED is just categorizing the error as a timeout by default.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: