cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

College teaching

awjackson
Level 1
Level 1

Good day. I am a computer science teacher at a community college. Prior to coming here, I used Cisco products extensively in various enterprise locations. I would like to teach students Cisco netoworking. Ideally my students would become CCNAs through this process. I am aware that we can use programs like Cisco Packet Tracer to simulate labs environments. However, I think there is little substitute for hands on experience. I am looking for older (maybe retired) Cisco equipment that I can use in a lab environment. I am fine with early gen ASAs, routers, and switches. Heck a 2621 router and a 3524XL switch can still support vlans and various networking protocols. I would like contact information for a Cisco representative that partners with educational institutions. Ideally Cisco would be willing to loan or donate old equipment for learning purposes. This is mutually beneficial because it helps our students, and it builds Cisco engineers that can go out into the world. Please let me know how to contact someone about this. 

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am sure you can contact locally any refurbished network vendors depends on location you get cheaper priced kit.

You only need 1 Set of device for the students hand on Physical rest you can manage using PT / GNS3 or more advanced CML2 or PNET Lab

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I completely understand. And I am looking for vendors and business who are getting rid of old equipment. However your response does not completely address my request. First of all small community colleges don't have money (even a very small amount of money) for equipment. Therefore, I am looking for things that are free. If I WERE able to get funding for this, I would have to jump through so many bureacratic hoops, and get through so many layers of approval, it would be 6 months or more just to buy an old ASA5505. 

And more to the point, I think it is in Cisco's best interest to have a program that partners with colleges (especially colleges that serve underserved populations) that train students to be Cisco techs. These students will leave the college world, go out and get jobs, and be able to support Cisco equipment. Furthermore, they will likely influcence the businesses where they work, and suggest that those businesses buy MORE cisco equipment. Perhaps Cisco does not see the value in this. However, it makes sense to me. 

FREE - that you need to check Locally - this is more of cisco Technically communtiy - this help more of technically questions.

I am based at UK - we bin most of the EoL equiment here - some time it given to people free (but due to some security reason- corporate looking to bin and crush the hardware most cases)

Most of the Local centers who offering CCNA cources should have the equiment - even i seen Local rural place they do have hands on as i know.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Carl Barker
Level 1
Level 1

Good day. It's great to hear that you're interested in teaching Cisco networking to your students. If you are still looking for an answer to your question, then I would like to advise you to go to the "Contacts" section of the site, from there you can find a phone number for educational initiatives or partnerships. They may be able to advise you more quickly on this matter. I like how you want to solve the problem with the equipment to teach the students in practice. I was just looking forhttps://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/problem-solution/ materials here for my work on the topic of solving the problem of the quality of education, and your situation gave me an idea. If businesses partnered with colleges and students got real case studies from companies, they would be better equipped to work in the future. I am sure that this will be a great idea, and with the help of phdessay materials, I will be able to competently write my report.