Views
Helpful
Replies

End of Life/ End of Support Devices IOS and Documentation Availability

d.bernardo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Apologies if this is a recurrent question, did try to search for it but came up empty, so I will ask.

Where can IOS binaries be found for EoL/ EoS devices ?

All of us who work in IT professionally or for a hobby do came up eventually repurposing decommissioned devices or second hand devices for our own personal use, LAB work, education, whatever.

If I understood correctly current Cisco policy is to "shut down" Software Download 2 years after reaching EoL/ EoS status.

Are these binaries forever lost ? Can they be found somewhere ?

Being confined at home finally gave me some time to follow long stopped projects, educational ones, and trying to repurpose a 2651XM for instance found no availability for IOS binaries. I probably have some older things around that would like to bring to life and up to date to keep be busy... and sane...

Thank you,

2 Replies 2

You are right, some time after EOL, these files and information are removed. Many of these files "fly around" somewhere on the internet but loading them is certainly a violation of the license and also not really trustworthy.

If you want to do labs, I would suggest to look at Cisco Modeling Labs and go with that:

https://developer.cisco.com/modeling-labs/

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

EOS/ EOL can be find product page along with IOS version you using.

Not sure how cisco archive works, some of the IOS older than 7+years i do not see them to download, but they be find some where in the google search for your education purpose(not for sale)

Now a days most of them are available virtual to test the technology, until you want some hands on Physical Kit, if that kit has IOS already available you can free to use, since perpetual License it will not expired for sure. (it may have security bugs - if you connected to internet you need to keep that in mind)

Hope that make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help