cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Open dns inactive?

amcfanz
Level 1
Level 1

All was fine until like 3 days ago my ip changed and it won’t update on my dashboard says inactive made a support ticket no one has answered the ticket?please help

13 Replies 13

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

Continue trying to update your network from a browser.
https://updates.opendns.com/nic/update?hostname=NetworkLabel

Replace NetworkLabel by your network label.

amcfanz
Level 1
Level 1

Could you please tell me where the networks label is could you tell me where to find the network label

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

amcfanz
Level 1
Level 1

When I update it through the program made for windows it tells me my ip is being used by someone else

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

Then try to obtain another IP address.

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

And as I said, continue to try it with a browser, not with the updater.

ksaye1
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same issue today.  Via the updates URL, it seems all good:

support.opendns.com_hc_user_images_w6JFH0JJ14cJkIGRvlY4Ww.png

But the portal says "inactive":

support.opendns.com_hc_user_images_zg-r_dq9wDy48BDoS5vq2w.png

Note I am using the ddclient:

support.opendns.com_hc_user_images_UlxBJmtX0GWfoVIm59gibw.png

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

To update your network manually, you click the green arrows icon beside "inactive".  This will reactivate your dashboard network.

Then monitor your ddclient going further to see if it updates next time when your IP address changes.  If it doesn't, you look into its log to see what the problem is.

ksaye1
Level 1
Level 1

So while I agree that it will make the IP from the browser active, the issue, the theme of this post, is that the ddclient [in my case] or some update mechanism is putting the network to inactive.

Clearly to get it working now I have clicked the double arrows, but should I have had to?

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

I think so, yes.  My experience is that under certain further circumstances a network goes into inactive status if and when another user claims the IP address currently registered with this network.  It is not your updater causing your network becoming inactive.  And I have found that a manual update at the dashboard or via browser are the methods to release the network from the inactive status.

para1919
Level 1
Level 1

Having/had similar issue.  I cannot get my settings at OpenDNS to accept an update.  I have a ticket open, been 8 hours.  When I try to add the current ISP IP, it says it is already in use.  If I try to enter another IP, the verification email link does not work (smart enough to know that is not my IP).  It is like I am in a loop.  Think I need someone on the opendns side to purge the IP that it knows for my account to let me add the IP.  I do run the opendns updater on a mac.  Something got out of sync -- feels like a bug to me.

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

Try to obtain another IP address, or wait for your ticket being fulfilled.

jhall83
Level 1
Level 1

had the same issue went through all the same steps but in the end it was the vpn and the new private relay (beta) that was giving me the wrong IP address on my Mac. I downloaded the tool from open dns that helped me see the different ip's. Both ip's were similar but different. that's why when I tried to verify the email after setting up a new IP address network it was failing. Once I turned off the VPN's it worked!! email verified and all was good in the world and now I can continue to keep the kiddos safe. hope this helps!!