Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

open dns updater shows "Looks like there's no internet connection

when I go to the test website it says it's not working and the updater says looks like there is no internet connection

C:\Users\MOHAMMED SAIF>nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com
Server: resolver1.opendns.com
Address: 208.67.222.222

*** No text (TXT) records available for debug.opendns.com

C:\Users\MOHAMMED SAIF>nslookup whoami.akamai.net
Server: resolver1.opendns.com
Address: 208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: whoami.akamai.net
Address: 182.18.191.35

support.opendns.com_hc_user_images_uIQVT2qxMImKk7DNkIuj5w.png

please help me 

11 Replies 11

a.santinelli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! Same situation here, i tested disabling TCP IP V6 From Control Panel / Network connections and it works now.

(In my case i use TCP IP V4)support.opendns.com_hc_user_images_avpsDszpawsmtbrDMEIrww.jpeg

support.opendns.com_hc_user_images_5Rky6xtE5q_AuKtgbWA5ew.jpeg

regards.

Alessandro.

alex.bushido
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you a.santinelli ! Worked for me!

robmagana02
Level 1
Level 1

This worked for me as well, thank you a.santinelli.

Anyway this could be reported to opendns? It seems content is not filtered on all other devices except where this is disabled.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't work for me.

adamyth0s
Level 1
Level 1

worked for me as well. thank you.

it did not work for me. When i disable TCP/IP v6, the youtube cannot load video properly even after i unblock it. When i enable back the TCP/IP v6, then youtube works properly again. Anyone pls help.

dingleberry1911
Level 1
Level 1

Hello same situation here. Only it has not worked since July 13th or 14th of 2020, and Jan 2022 it still does not work. Unable to make it work in Win 7, 8, 10, or 11, nor can I get it to work on Mac. 
So I have tried the following:

• Disabled IPv6
  • uninstalled VPN software
  • tried different network adapters (Lan. Wlan, Moca, dial up, Bluetooth tethering)
  • tried other O/S versions
  • tried installing on a virtual machine
  • tried five different ISP's
  • added and/or modified firewall rules
  • disabled antimalware software
  • disabled windows security
  • rolled back to version 1.6.2, worked perfectly ONCE, then autoupdate reinstalls ver 2.2.1

Version 2.2.1 sort of acts like Android apps that have been discontinued where the developer disables the internet connectivity within the app so it stops functioning and just shows a "no internet connection" message.

Another observation is I can make OpenDNS update function normally and very easily using enterprise class equipment and applications, but I have not been able to get it to work on consumer/retail class equipment since July of 2020.  

cbpetrovic
Level 1
Level 1

Well, my condition was caused by an acute case of operator headspace.

I had set my machines on my home network to use specific DNS servers, rather than use that which the router supplied.

Once resetting the network properties on each "fouled" machine to use the router-supplied DNS servers, all started to work as advertised.

hhnet
Level 1
Level 1

how to "reset the network properties on each "fouled" machine to use the router-supplied DNS servers"? please help! thank you!  

barenddk
Level 1
Level 1

Had the same issue but after troubleshooting got it to work,

ON the computer running the DNS updater client make sure you:

1: Disable IPv6

2: Using the correct DNS 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 exactly like that otherwise it will say you are not connected to the internet.

I had the DNS update client running on a "server PC" so was using the default DNS and did not seem to work. A bit frustrating because it used to work on the server and then just updated the client PCs with the Open DNS servers!

TripodBobPizza
Level 1
Level 1

To my knowledge Updater 2.2.1 has been deprecated for individual/consumer accounts.

However it is much simpler to just use Marc Hoersken's update client called Marc's Updater.
And it works with IPv6 enabled.

Here is another thing to consider.  Most large ISP's in the U.S. are now actively forcing all DNS requests to their servers regardless of the DNS settings you put in your client or router settings.  Even if you try to use 8.8.8.8 as your DNS Comcast, Spectrum, Centurylink, Frontier, Verizon, Starlink, and many others redirect your dns traffic to their dns servers because they have made financial deals with advertisers and tracking companies to guarantee you cannot filter or block ads or trackers resulting in 100% trackability.  It is extremely easy to check by running a DNS leak test.