cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OpenDNS not working

johnandrus
Level 1
Level 1

I went to the sites that check, and I get all the right messages.  So I know I have the DNS servers set up correctly.

However, nothing gets blocked.  I have my settings set to 'high', and still nothing gets blocked.  It was working great when I first installed it, now nothing.

I checked my ip, and made sure that it was the same as what I had set up.  Still nothing is blocked.

I also already flushed my dns cache, according to the website instructions.  ipconfig /flushdns

I also cleared my browser cache, since I'm sure someone will ask.

34 Replies 34

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

Copy and paste the complete plain text output of the following command, and post it here:

nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.

toweyik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, folks. Sorry to pile on, but I was about to ask the same question. My router has the correct dns settings, my Updater ran successfully, I flushed cache, and still no blocking. This was working great until recently. We had a power outage that restarted everything. Maybe that did it, but I can't see how it would keep the OPENDNS settings and not use them.

C:\>nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.
Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
Address:  208.67.222.222
Non-authoritative answer:
debug.opendns.com       text =
        "server 7.ash"
        "flags 20 0 2f4 800000000000000"
        "id 0"
        "source 65.188.188.112:64989"

toweyik
Level 1
Level 1

Never mind. I deleted and re-added my network. Whatever it was, it's fixed now.

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

The problem was that your IP address 65.188.188.112 was not registered with any OpenDNS network, especially not with yours ("id 0"), therefore your settings could not take effect. You had to update your network with your IP address information, e.g. by running an Updater.

Deleting and adding your network does not help by itself. This is a solution for nothing. However, when you added the network again, you certainly have also registered your IP address with your network, so it seemed only you solved it this way.

gretiro
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network with a wireless router, despite having configured the OpenDNS some machines, notebooks access blocked sites, set up a wired PC and found that the windows in IE 7 or 8 to access the majority of social networks that had blocked. How can I configure dns for all machines that use the router not access these sites?

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

We cannot know, as you didn't tell us other users what router you have and didn't point us to an online manual of your router.

What message does show up if you visit http://welcome.opendns.com/ from these computers where social networks should be blocked?

Only if it says "You're using OpenDNS", then post the complete plain text output of the following command here:

nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.

gretiro
Level 1
Level 1

Model router d-link DSL 2730B, set to HI operator in Brazil. Inserted both primary as secondary DNS of OpenDNS. only the pc with windows xp OpenDNS blocked the requested sites in windows 7, windows 8 and notebook that uses wi-fi, access is still allowed by the Internet Explorer browser!

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

And further? Read my message again, and respond to everything, not just to the first part of the first sentence.

Also, I couldn't find an online manual for this model in one of the languages I speak.

"set to HI operator in Brazil"

What could this mean?...

dealguy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having the same issue.  I've done the same things as the original poster. I'm using a Linksys WRTU54G-TM router.  I'm probably just missing something simple.

c:\>nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.
Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
Address:  208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:

"server 5.ash"

"flags 20 0 2fe 7e00400014c3"

"id 16007159"

"source 50.160.199.51:60506"

zukkaus
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem here. I have done everything in this open ticket. I setup the IP address in my DNS settings, cleaned the cache of browser and ipconfig /flushdns.

I deleted and re-added my network in the Open DNS website. I can't make it to work. All websites are accessible.  I would really appreciate some help. Thanks in advanvce.

Phil12
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem.  I registered 98.100.84.54 with OpenDNS to my WiFi policy with Moderate settings and can still access playboy.com.  I seem to be able to access everything.

Server: dns-cac-lb-01.rr.com
Address: 209.18.47.61

*** dns-cac-lb-01.rr.com can't find debug.opendns.com.: Non-existent domain

rotblitz
Level 6
Level 6

@dealguy
Linksys? You must fill DNS 3 with one of 208.67.222.220 or 208.67.220.222. Then flush both, your local resolver cache and your browser cache, and you should be good to go ahead.

@zukkaus
"I deleted and re-added my network in the Open DNS website." - This was nonsense. You can save such efforts. This activity is not part of any instructions for troubleshooting. As you didn't provide the information asked for, we can't help you further.

@Phil
Whatever you did, you didn't configure the OpenDNS resolver addresses at the right place. This 209.18.47.61 is definitely not an OpenDNS resolver address, but a Road Runner address (dns-cac-lb-01.rr.com). Content filtering works only if you use OpenDNS, not if you use Road Runner...
The OpenDNS resolver addresses are 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220, 208.67.222.220, 208.67.220.222.

dealguy
Level 1
Level 1

@rotblitz  Thanks!  I had DNS3 filled in already, but suspect I hadn't properly flushed either the local resolver or browser cache as it seems to be working fine now.

Phil12
Level 1
Level 1

rotblitz,

That's what it was.  The router didn't save the DNS settings.  I thought it did.

Thank,

Phil