Views
Helpful
Replies

CPT 600 Dual Homing

khanak
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we are planning to deploy CPT 600 in dual homing setup with CPT 50. we need to understand the physical connectivity for terminating three access rings on CPT 600. we have two PTF cards per chassis.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bill Ferguson
Level 1
Level 1

It's complicated.  Refer to the documentation.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/optical/cpt/r9_7/cpt971_configuration/cpt971_configuration_chapter_011.html#concept_D133616E9BCD4C92AA2C8620A10525C5

These are important:

Limitations and Restrictions

These limitations and restrictions apply to the ring in CPT:

• A maximum of 20 rings can be provisioned with CPT 600 and a maximum of 6 rings can be provisioned with CPT 200.
  • A maximum of 20 CPT 50 panels can be configured in a ring.
  • A maximum of 100 CPT 50 panels can be configured across all the rings, on a single CPT 600 or CPT 200.
  • The Resilient Ethernet Protocol (REP) configurations are internally provisioned on the ring.
  • A ring cannot be configured on the XFP port.
  • The east port cannot be same as the west port while creating a ring.
  • If a chassis is down, no services can be configured on the CPT 50 in a ring through CTC.
  • The ports that already have Fan-Out-Group (FOG) configured, cannot be used for creating a ring.
  • A single-homed ring and a dual-homed ring cannot be configured on the same node.
  • A CPT 600 or CPT 200 chassis cannot function as a PRC and WRC simultaneously.
  • Services can be configured on the dual-homed ring in the cisco IOS mode.
  • If a CPT 600 or CPT 200 chassis is used in dual-homed ring, it cannot be used in any other ring configuration.

Expect to have to call TAC.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Bill Ferguson
Level 1
Level 1

It's complicated.  Refer to the documentation.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/optical/cpt/r9_7/cpt971_configuration/cpt971_configuration_chapter_011.html#concept_D133616E9BCD4C92AA2C8620A10525C5

These are important:

Limitations and Restrictions

These limitations and restrictions apply to the ring in CPT:

• A maximum of 20 rings can be provisioned with CPT 600 and a maximum of 6 rings can be provisioned with CPT 200.
  • A maximum of 20 CPT 50 panels can be configured in a ring.
  • A maximum of 100 CPT 50 panels can be configured across all the rings, on a single CPT 600 or CPT 200.
  • The Resilient Ethernet Protocol (REP) configurations are internally provisioned on the ring.
  • A ring cannot be configured on the XFP port.
  • The east port cannot be same as the west port while creating a ring.
  • If a chassis is down, no services can be configured on the CPT 50 in a ring through CTC.
  • The ports that already have Fan-Out-Group (FOG) configured, cannot be used for creating a ring.
  • A single-homed ring and a dual-homed ring cannot be configured on the same node.
  • A CPT 600 or CPT 200 chassis cannot function as a PRC and WRC simultaneously.
  • Services can be configured on the dual-homed ring in the cisco IOS mode.
  • If a CPT 600 or CPT 200 chassis is used in dual-homed ring, it cannot be used in any other ring configuration.

Expect to have to call TAC.  Good luck.

Dear William,

really appreciate your reply i am studying this document. actually i am in design stage . 

do you have any idea if i want to create a dual home ring but doesn't close the ring instead add the sites will it work or i must close the ring ?

If you're never going to close the ring, then you should just create an open-ended single-home ring.

Otherwise, I'm not sure.  One of the steps in establishing the dual-homed ring is to "Enable Service" on it.  I don't know if you can do this if the ring isn't closed.  Maybe you can.

However, I assume the main reason you want a dual-homed ring is so that you can use protected MPLS-TP tunnels for your various services. You won't be able to create protected tunnels until the CPT-50 ring is complete.

Dear Williams,

Thanks for the reply actually that's a temporary solution in latter stage we will close the ring.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card