cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

best way to connect 2960s with fiber

sizzler
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all first let me say I'm a novice at networking, so here I am. I also may not of asked in right location, so if you think I would be better asking this somewhere else-please say where..Any help would be much appreciated. I'm doing a 80 ip camera system in a building 400' long, and since the runs would be too long-one switch will be in a rear closet with a run of about 420' from closet where 3 other switches and nvr will be. I never did an ip system where I had to use more then one switch, so i'm asking the best way to link the 3 in main closet together and then to the far one. The switches(2960S-24PS-L(got a bunch real cheap so have spares in case)) all have 4 sfp and the nvr depending on which one I go with both have (4) 10/100/1000 rj45's Ethernet ports and one will have 2 sfp ports, and the other states 4 fiber interfaces? The ceiling is plenum so I would need a fiber rated for that. which type of fiber do I need and which transceivers would I need? I would like redundancy if possible and right now will be only using 1000m but if possible can the fiber support 10g and be backwards compatible? There are so many choices in fiber optics the most I ever did with fiber was to plug in a short lc/lc patch cable...lol Thanks for any help. Also this I will ask later, but these pos switches are only being used for ip cameras and nvr, I would need to link it to the switch in same closet that will be internet, so I would have to configure one port on nvr for that(I would think I would connect the nvr and not the switches to internet?) Thanks again for any help/suggestions..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just so im sure on this, is all or most fiber cabling plenum rated?

ANS. The plenum rating is based on use, the environment, building codes and regulations. Any reputable cable installer should know if it should be required.

I'm fine with the loop, so you thinking connecting the main switches with a basic cat6 rj45 patch is fine, is it better to use the sfp ports or same speed?

ANS. Copper and fiber gig ports provide equal performance as long as they are within specs.

What about the flex cable option in rear?

ANS. Never used them on this model switch, but if I'm not mistaken in addition to the cable it requires a module. The advantage is that if you use this option the three switches in the primary location appear as one and offers the needed redundancy. You wouldn't need to connect them via the RJ45 copper ports either.

The 50m is same as 50um?

OM3 fiber core diameter is 50um, but is frequently just called 50 micron. Specify OM3 and you'll get what you need.

The ceiling here is 40' and after equipment is in wont be too easy to get a lift in without a major pain in the a$$.. lol Just need one person to agree with this cable and I order it.

ANS. OM3 specs are 984 feet for 10Gig and 1804 feet for 1Gig. Think you are well within those ranges.  However, I don't want to confuse things, but just to let you know single mode fiber will go greater distances and may be slightly cheaper than the OM3 but the single mode optics cost three times as much, if not more. Think the OM3 will fit the bill.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

For the far switch requiring fiber, suggest 50m OM3 fiber. The 2960 optics / SFP part number would be GLC-SX-MMD.  The 2960s don't do 10G, but the fiber will if  future needs warrant it.

Took keep things simple, and if you want redundancy, it may be easiest to connect the switches in a ring, with the three in the main linked to each other with copper and then have the far closet go to the top and bottom switches in the main.

This of course results in a loop which some may say is not optimal, but provided everything works properly, especially spanning tree, you shouldn't have issues.

As far as connectivity to the Internet, and again to keep things simple, if you just make the entire setup a single network, connecting one switch to whatever goes to the internet should allow access for all devices.

Again, there are plenty of ways to set this up, but just want to keep it simple.

Hope this helps

It looks/sounds good to me,,,lol. Just so im sure on this, is all or most fiber cabling plenum rated? I'm fine with the loop, so you thinking connecting the main switches with a basic cat6 rj45 patch is fine, is it better to use the sfp ports or same speed? What about the flex cable option in rear? I see I can pick them up for a fair price also(used ones), but no sure about the far switch on that setup.. The 50m is same as 50um? The cable is not that cheap so I want to be sure of ordering correct one. The ceiling here is 40' and after equipment is in wont be too easy to get a lift in without a major pain in the a$$.. lol Just need one person to agree with this cable and I order it.. Thanks again for you super help..

Don

Just so im sure on this, is all or most fiber cabling plenum rated?

ANS. The plenum rating is based on use, the environment, building codes and regulations. Any reputable cable installer should know if it should be required.

I'm fine with the loop, so you thinking connecting the main switches with a basic cat6 rj45 patch is fine, is it better to use the sfp ports or same speed?

ANS. Copper and fiber gig ports provide equal performance as long as they are within specs.

What about the flex cable option in rear?

ANS. Never used them on this model switch, but if I'm not mistaken in addition to the cable it requires a module. The advantage is that if you use this option the three switches in the primary location appear as one and offers the needed redundancy. You wouldn't need to connect them via the RJ45 copper ports either.

The 50m is same as 50um?

OM3 fiber core diameter is 50um, but is frequently just called 50 micron. Specify OM3 and you'll get what you need.

The ceiling here is 40' and after equipment is in wont be too easy to get a lift in without a major pain in the a$$.. lol Just need one person to agree with this cable and I order it.

ANS. OM3 specs are 984 feet for 10Gig and 1804 feet for 1Gig. Think you are well within those ranges.  However, I don't want to confuse things, but just to let you know single mode fiber will go greater distances and may be slightly cheaper than the OM3 but the single mode optics cost three times as much, if not more. Think the OM3 will fit the bill.

Regards

Chrihussey,

Thanks again for the reply. I know about where and when to use plenum. These HVAC units are using the ceiling as a return, so anytime that is done all cabling above ceiling tiles has to be plenum burn rated. It has to do with the toxic fumes given off by the plastic coating and also the temp where it might drip on to firefighters. Almost the same as mc cable must be used in ceiling and walls that are consider high occupancy of 50 or more people at once. But with plenum rule you can use regular jacket if is in wall or conduit. My question on that was since it is like a fiberglass core you might think it is automatically fireproof, I guess though since it is jacketed along with other conductors/fiber cores that the jacket could be made with whatever is cheaper?   

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card