cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

E100 & E1000 Spanning tree and VLAN reuse

kenneth.hull
Level 1
Level 1

I have a situations where I have two e series cards configured as single card ether-switches in the same chassis. One is an E100 and the other is an E1000. I have spanning tree enabled on all the transport circuit built to these cards. There is no STS connectivity between these cards.

I am reusing a few VLANs between the cards and the cards appear to be sharing spanning tree topology information. Has anyone had similar experiences reusing VLANs and discovered a work around for this? The 15454 documentation is not very descriptive of this situation and lacks detailed STP info as on would expect to be accessible from a Cisco switch.

Thanks,

Ken

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rene Frank
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem two years ago. As far as I know the problem was never solved. I changed the design of the 15454 backbone completely and used the G series with external 3550 switches. If you have this problem only on a few 15454 then I recommend to install only one E card per chassis and use external switches, but this gives you a single point of failure. If you need a redundant design then you can configure both E cards in Port Mapped Mode an use two external switches to terminate the VLANs there. I'm sorry that I haven't another solution but the E card and STP is really a bad thing.

regards

Rene

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rene Frank
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem two years ago. As far as I know the problem was never solved. I changed the design of the 15454 backbone completely and used the G series with external 3550 switches. If you have this problem only on a few 15454 then I recommend to install only one E card per chassis and use external switches, but this gives you a single point of failure. If you need a redundant design then you can configure both E cards in Port Mapped Mode an use two external switches to terminate the VLANs there. I'm sorry that I haven't another solution but the E card and STP is really a bad thing.

regards

Rene

We have over 30 nodes in our network with Ethernet. I am still at Release 3.3 and looking to upgrade to 4.x while still using TCC+'s. The documentation for the 4.x software describes a port tunnel mode for the E series cards hats sound similar to the operation of the G series. Thanks for the verification that there is a SW bug.

Ken

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

I believe this is expected behavior with E-Series cards. ML-Series cards, on the other hand, run separate STP instances.

Hi

no, Ken is right, there are two different modes for the E card. If you use the multicard mode then all E cards in a chassis build a big switch with common STP instances. But Ken is using the single card mode. There every E card should have its own STP instances. As I already said it's a software bug.

Rene

I'm not so sure that singlecard/multicard mode has anything to do with STP on E-Series cards. From the book Optical Network Design and Implementation:

"It is important to remember that in the case of the E-Series cards, the Timing and Control 2 (TCC2) common card actually runs the spanning-tree engine with a single instance of STP per node. Each E-Series card plugged into the chassis maintains only a copy of its Layer 2 forwarding table. In the case of ML-Series cards, however, the individual cards maintain copies of the Layer 2 forwarding table and they run an instance of STP." ... "From an STP perspective, however, the entire ONS node is perceived as a single bridge, even though it might contain multiple E-Series cards. For ML-Series cards, however, each card is accounted for as a discrete bridge, and STP uses each and every ML-Series card for its STP computation."

This makes sense with what I am seeing.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card