cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help Finding CDWM QSFP transceiver module

joe306
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I need some help finding a QSPF transceiver module  that will interface with an 8Channel CWDM  Mux/Demux. I only need to connect to 4 of the 8 channels. The mux/demux supports the following wavelengths: 1470, 1490, 1510, 1530, 1550, 1570, 1590 and 1610. 

I am also looking for a cable that can connect to the QSFP transceiver and then be able to connect to the mux/demux that has LC connectors. 

The max distance in my application is under 100 ft. 

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe306,

The issue I see with the Finisar FTL4C3QE2C module, for your application, is it uses an integrated CWDM mux/demux filter.  The output of the transceiver is 2 fibers (LC connectors) with each fiber carrying 4 wavelengths. You will not be able to attach these fibers into the FS mux/demux. 

View solution in original post

I'm not familiar with a "CDWM-LC breakout cable".  Maybe you are referencing a MPO-LC breakout cable?  This breakout cable takes each individual fiber from the MPO connector (multi-fiber connector) and terminates it on a separate LC connector at the other end of the cable (connectors = no of fibers in the MPO connector). No signal splitting is involved on the fibers.  

If you think you have a solution, all you can do is try.  It's only money; hopefully someone else's money!

Good luck.  Let us know the results.  

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

May be read this data sheet.

Cisco Transceiver Modules - Cisco CWDM SFP Solution Data Sheet - Cisco

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hello, thank you for responding to my post. I went to the web link and searched for QSFP CWDM but didn't see any.

Joe

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It is not clear which QSFP transceiver you are using, as there are different connector interfaces and designs.

From what I can gather about the QSFP transceiver operation, the CWDM channels used in the single-mode version (with duplex LC connectors) are multiplexed and demultiplexed within the QSFP (they are also at different wavelengths than those on your CWDM filter). So it wouldn't be possible to use a separate 8 channel CWDM singlemode mux/demux with the QSFP.

The multimode version (with duplex LC connectors) again uses an internal CWDM fiber to combine the signals to a fiber.  They use different wavelengths that what your CWDM filter is, so it wouldn't be compatible either way. 

Hello, thank you for responding to my message. We will nee to interface with the following mux/demux

https://www.fs.com/products/33489.html

It can support the following wavelengths.

Below is what I am trying to do:

QSFP_CWDM_TRANSCEIVER_BLOCK - Copy.jpg

I have been looking at the Cisco's web site and I may have found some:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/datasheet-c78-734047.html

I just need to find a datasheet.

Thank you

Joe

Joe306,

Your original email had indicated you were looking for a QSFP module to interface with your CWDM mux/demux. The Cisco 10G SFP module has an SFP+ footprint and should work with the CWDM filter you have chosen; although limited on the number of wavelengths it will support. However, the SFP+ footprint module will not install within networking equipment requiring QSFP modules.  

Hi Tom,

Thank you for responding to my message. If I use the right cable I should be able to interface with the QSFP on my hardware and then use the cable to connect four of the mux/demux ports. Correct me if I'm wrong here but with a QSFP you have 4-TX and 4-RX Diff pairs and each pair will transmit on a unique wavelength. I should be able to find a QSFP that supports four wavelengths from the list of available ports on the mux/demux.

Thank you

Which QSFP transceiver model were you trying to use? I do not see how you would make it work with the QSFP modules found on the Cisco website.  

Hi Tom,

I found a transceiver from Finisar: FTL4C3QE2C. It has the following Lane Center wavelength ranges:

1264.5 – 1277.5
1284.5 – 1297.5
1304.5 – 1317.5
1324.5 – 1337.5

I should be able to find a QSFP CWDM transeiver at Cisco that supports these wavelengths.

Respectfully,

Joe

Joe306,

The issue I see with the Finisar FTL4C3QE2C module, for your application, is it uses an integrated CWDM mux/demux filter.  The output of the transceiver is 2 fibers (LC connectors) with each fiber carrying 4 wavelengths. You will not be able to attach these fibers into the FS mux/demux. 

HI Tom,

You are absolutely correct. I need to think like an engineer. I will instead need four SFP connectors on my board instead of a QSFP connector. 

Joe

Tom,

Hi, what should I look for in the datasheet that says it has a CWDM mux/demux filter?

Thank you

Joe

Tom,

There is some discussion that maybe the mux/demux will filter out the other wavelengths. For example if you connect a cable to the 1270 port on the mux/demux then it may filter out everything but the 1270 wavelength? Or, will it screw things up?

Thank you

Joe

I am unsure how the CWDM mux port would handle an input signal that is comprised of 4 wavelengths; but I would assume it would only allow one of the four wavelengths from the QSFP module (the one that matches the value of the FS's port) to be muxed to the common (output) port of the FS box. Each client port on the FS mux/demux is designed for one specific CWDM wavelength; which requires a matching client CWDM optical transceiver wavelength. Feeding the FS mux with individual wavelengths from multiple optical transceivers (SFP, SFP+, etc) is the proper deployment method. 

Tom,

HI, would you be concerned that if I used a CDWM-LC breakout cable which will decrease the energy level to 25% on each cable then that the mux/demux would not be unable to filter out the unwanted wavelengths?

QSFP_CWDM_TRANSCEIVER_BLOCK - Copy.jpg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco