Views
Helpful
Replies

Interoperability SFP and Cisco SFP support on 3rd Party Media Converter

sauravcgc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am having one 3750X switch with GLC-SX-MM SFP uplink to a third party Media converter and inserted one Cisco SFP GLC-SX-MM into third party Media converter which was blank but the uplinke port is down.  I want to know whether Cisco SFP is supported on a third party media converter or not. I dont have much details of the media converter except is 1000/1000 and has one copper and blank module for SFP in which i am inserting Cisco GLC-SX-MM.

Any idea if the third party supports CIsco SFP.

Thanks

Saurav

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

inserted one Cisco SFP GLC-SX-MM into third party Media converter

You inserted a Cisco SFP into a media converter?  I don't think it'll work.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't see why the Cisco SFP would not be recognized by the media converter, but it is possible that they have similar code as Cisco's that prevents third-party transceivers from working in their equipment. It is also possible (not probable) that the media converter does not operate in "Single-ended" configurations, meaning it needs to be bookened (a medial converter at each end).  You will have to check with the manufacturer. 

According to the output from your Show Tech-support, the transciever installed in Port Gi2/1/1 of the 3750 is a "1000BaseLX SFP" (GLC-LH-SM), not a GLC-SX-MM.  What type and length of fiber are you using between the 3750 and the media converter?  You will need a Mode Conditioning Patch Cord if you are using the LX SFPs with MMF. 

You can test the 3750's SFP by connecting its transmit port to its receive port and see if you get link.

Tom  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card