cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging the RSL, Tx and Rx level of a fiber cable connected to a 3600x Switch on a Network Monitoring System eg PRTG

ibegbu.david1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a question.

i was given a task to poll the RSL, transmitting and receiving power level of all fibers connected to a Cisco 3600x switch on the network monitoring system eg PRTG.

To check the above parameters on the switch, i do use the command "show interface trans" but my boss doesn't want that, rather he wants all the parameters to be polling on the monitoring tools.

Is this possible because i have tried all the tools and read different comments and visited different blogs on how to solve this issue but none helped.

Any idea, please help.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is a MIB for Digital Optical Monitioring (DOM).

Support is not there on all platforms though. Check yours with an snmpwalk and see it it's there. If is is, you're in luck. If not, you have the honor of telling your boss it can't be done.

See this thread: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11410271/digital-optical-monitoring-transceiver-snmp-monitoring-c7206vxr-npe-g2

Thanks Marvin for that response.

What if i want to get RSL, TX and RX for every interface on the device, do we still check with an snmp walk?

Also is it possible for a trunk interface?

snmpwalk is a utility to check what MIBs and OIDs are present on a device.

Your network management system queries the objects and stores / presents the data to you. Assuming the MIB is supported, you would configure it for which interfaces you wish to gather statistics on. Those statistics would be per physical interface, whether it was a trunk, access port or whatever. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card