cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MEASURING TOTAL LOAD OF WAN INTERFACE

Ibrohim
Level 1
Level 1

should i count together with input and output rate for measuring Total load of Wan interface?

Interface IHQ IQD OHQ OQD RXBS RXPS TXBS TXPS TRTL
------------------------------------------------------------------------
* GigabitEthernet0/0 0 0 0 0 19807000 2532 12452000 2396 0

what is my  total load  20Mbps? or 30Mbps?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

this is conceptual idea.  You actually can determine what load means to you. For example,  if you are concerned about capacity, usually we care about download. Upload is something intrinsic. I mean, I dont need to sum up download and upload in order to calculate my link.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi

this is conceptual idea.  You actually can determine what load means to you. For example,  if you are concerned about capacity, usually we care about download. Upload is something intrinsic. I mean, I dont need to sum up download and upload in order to calculate my link.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the interface is running duplex, which many, if not all, WAN interfaces do, the total interface load would be the aggregate of ingress and egress.  However, often we're more concerned about just ingress or egress loads.  The reason for the latter, once your ingress or egress starts to hit a "high" load percentage, it generally means your almost out of ingress or egress bandwidth, and even before you totally run out of ingress or egress bandwidth, traffic might be impacted by a "high" load.  But, if you have a, say, 50% load for ingress and egress combined, what does it mean?  It might be only 25% for both ingress and egress, or perhaps 100% load for just ingress or egress.  The former, often, a non-issue while that latter often is.