Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9k and Catalyst 9500 - Third party SFP support

darren-oconnor
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

We're spinning up a couple of Nexus 9k's and Cat 9500's for a short term piece of remedial work before a wider network refresh.  Due to budget constraints we need to keep costs down so we're exploring using third party sfp's to achieve this.  I appreciate that Cisco won't support us should we go down this route but has anyone experience with doing this?  We're looking specifically at FS.com (10G-LR and some QSFP-40G-LR)

Thanks all

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may for instance read https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1100/software/configuration/xe-16-12/cisco_1100_series_swcfg_xe_16_12_x/config-third-party-sfps.html#task_h4j_kfq_be
                (it applies to another platform but the commands mentioned could apply)

Yet I advise against it  ; if we look at the cost of these boxes relative to the cost of  a cisco SFP and business importance,
   I would go for Cisco supported SFP's according to Cisco Optics-to-Device Compatibility Matrix

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

hi @marce1000 - appreciate the response and agree that using supported sfp's should be the correct way forward.  However, when faced with procuring £70k's worth of sfp's compared to £2k....money talks.  We already own the nexus and catalyst's so those assets have already depreciated so no additional costs incurred there.

- Ok , but when used than at least you must test the intended links , before taking a (production) connection for granted!

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe @Leo Laohoo has experience using non Cisco optics.  Perhaps he might comment.