cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Official Cisco SFPs vs Amazon Cisco SFPs

subarayarsooper
Level 1
Level 1

I need to know the differences of SFP modules sold on amazon in the name of cisco and official cisco module sold by cisco via partner. Comparing to original the modules in amazon has very less amount. So, please clarify what can i go.

12 Replies 12

Hello,

Which SFP's are in question? Could you post a link? If they are not officially supported cisco TAC can refuse to solve any issue related to the SFP's. 

If they are cisco compatible they will probably work none the less.

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

For Example:
MGBLX1 IN AMAZON
https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Gigabit-Ethernet-Lx-Mini-gbic/dp/B002N8A0LQ

BUT FROM CISCO ALMOST 610 dollars

This SFP is still cisco, just for SMB - small business (SG series switches). 

No I need to know if it is still cisco module, why the official cisco price
is much higher?

I suggest you direct that question directlly to cisco. 

I am just asking who may know?

For exactly the same part number?

If not, there might be subtle technical reasons that impact cost.

But even if the same part number, from different sellers, or as far as you can tell, technical specs are identical for different part numbers, they might still differ much in price.

Well, there's always the "you get what you pay for" but truthfully sellers will price products to try to be as profitable as possible.  Lots of factors go into product profitability, beyond the obvious of just setting a high sales price.  (The factors can be so complicated and intertwined, why colleges/universities even have business curriculums to teach such.) 

I will also note, in general (cannot directly address Cisco pricing due to NDAs), when dealing with merchants, unit price is often also impacted by quantity of items being purchased and/or overall total order value.  (Go to any car dealer and mention you want to do a fleet purchase, likely you'll find unit prices discounted.)

There's also factors like, even though those transceivers might be legally sold, will Cisco warrant them if purchased from an unauthorized seller?  Possibly not, but if there is an 8.5x price delta (according to the prices you provided), even if you need only one, you might buy two or three and take your changes.

That same part number for a new SFP on Cisco's Commerce Workspace is currently US$194.68 (without discount). The part on Amazon is refurbished and varies from $40-97 according to my search just now.

Genuine, direct-from-Cisco transceivers are always more expensive - due to factors others have cited. If you are comfortable buying from third parties or via Cisco small business marketplace on Amazon then by all means do so. Many customers prefer to buy direct from Cisco via their resellers due to the ease of working within established contracting vehicles and the guarantee of support.

"The part on Amazon is refurbished and varies from $40-97 according to my search just now."

BTW, for the product link provided by @subarayarsooper, I don't see mention that it's refurbished.(???)

Yes

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

Amazon is pretty good about vetting their merchants and insuring that they are the brand owners before they allow them to create a "store" using a trademarked name. This particular product is listed by the Cisco Store, so most likely it is coming directly through an official Cisco sales channel (else someone has managed to elude Amazon's safeguards and set up a counterfeit store). Cisco also has a very active brand protection organization that is constantly on the look-out for counterfeits and unauthorized resellers; if this Amazon store is not legit, it will not last long.

Regarding pricing... Cisco typically has healthy gross margin targets, with room to discount off list price. Customers should always negotiate a discount off the list price, but you cannot do that buying through Amazon, so the Amazon price most likely reflects the discount that the product managers believe is appropriate for this sales channel.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no difference where the Cisco-branded optic is sourced from. 

At the end of the day, the optic can be RMAed.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card