Views
Helpful
Replies

ONS 15540 ESPx splitter protection and deployment

hashaari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Got a question on splitter protection mechanisims on ONS 15540 ESPX. I understand that to implement this kind of protection requires a transponder module to be connected to a splitter base LCMB which then connect to the OADM of the same channel/band group that goes east and west. So does the splitter mechanisims on ONS 15540 ESPx works like the one on ONS 15252 which split in ratios like 10/90, 50/50 etc?

On DWDM deployment, specifically for ONS 15540 ESPX, We planned ultimately to deploy at four sites, say A B C and D in ring topology. My problems is that site C couldn't be ready in time due to construction delays. Is it technically possible to deploy site A B and D first and then break the ring later to deploy site C between B and D? Is there any impact on channel planning, optical power budget and how should I go on implementing the 3 sites first. On first look, I don't think they are no problems as it is just a matter of add/drop/passthru of channels.

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 Replies 3

beth-martin
Level 5
Level 5

I am not sure about the impacts. You could however take a look at this page. It contains planning and design guides which would be of help.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2011/products_implementation_design_guides_list.html

rtappend_2
Level 1
Level 1

The splitter mechanism on the ONS15540 operates in fixed 50/50 ratio only.

You are right, it is technically feasible to add a 4th site to an existing 3 node ring. The considerations could include:

- Optical Budget (Fibre) - will the fibre initially be routed into Site C and patched through? or will it run directly past the site. If the fibre must be respliced/patched into the new site, this will involve additional fibre losses as well as extra outage time while they perform this work once the site is ready.

- Optical Budget (System) - the ONS15540 at site C will introduce OADM pass-thru losses to existing channels traversing the link between B and D. These may include channels also from A-B and A-D as well as B-D, depending on protection requirements. You should consider this impact from the outset and determine if budgets are within range, or if amplification is necessary.

- Amplification - is there any amplification in this network? If so, the addition of extra channels will change the aggregate power levels and may require some tuning to avoid saturating your EDFAs.

- Impact of upgrade - if channels are protected, you can switch them to the non-affected path while you perform the upgrade. If not, those services will be out of action during the upgrade.

I think the main thing is consider the before and after optical budgets now to make sure there are no surprises in store.

Hope that helps.

Hi!

So the key here is the impact on optical power budget right? Got it. Thanks for the help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card