cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Practical Distance between Catalyst 2950C-24's over 62.5 MM Fiber

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a customer that has asked me to connect 2 of their buildings together. The 2 buildings are accross the street from each other but the fiber distance between the 2 may be as long as 2500ft. I am considering using 2 Catalyst 2950C-24's, one on each end of the connection. I have had some difficulty finding a distance limitation for the 2950C's over 62.5 micron MM fiber. This configuration would allow a 100baseFX connection for now but the customer may wish in the future to increase the bandwidth to 1GB. I would like to know how long a fiber pull between these two devices could be without problems. If anyone could offer any suggestions I would appreciate it.

3 Replies 3

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

Not applicable

Thanks for the help. I actually skimmed through that document before posting. But I obviously missed that part.

I should get the idiot award for this one!

Make sure your customer knows that going to Gigabit may not be an option over MMF if the distance is too great. Standards specify support for 62.5/125 fiber out to 220m to 275m with SX optics, and out to 550m with LX optics and mode-conditioning patch cords. (LX has been pushed as far as 700m reliably, but exceeds the standards).

Their best option for faster-than-100-meg service is to use Fast EtherChannel: n x 100-meg links, if they have multiple strand-pairs available.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card