Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggestions, Advice.. general help

costellochris
Level 1
Level 1

Good day everyone,

Im still kind of new to networking out new structures so bare with me. Im trying to find a  the best solution for proformance, reliablity,  best pratice. With the current equipement.

What We have:

Switches:

2 - Cisco 3750 24P TS-S

1 - Cisco 3750 48P TS-S

2 - Cisco 2960 48P TC-L

Firewall:

Juniper SSG5

Servers:

HP ProLiant DL360e Gen8 8-SFF  ( currently looking at as an Upgrade to switch to Virualition on Hyper-v)

HP ProLiant DL360 G5

HP ProLiant DL360 G5

HP ProLiant DL360 G5

HP ProLiant DL360 G5

HP ProLiant DL360 G5

We are Running 3 VLANS -
1 for LAN Access (Desktops, Laptops) Called VLAN 20

1 for 802.1q Trunk Wireless Access (Scanning systems.. basicly a wireless barcode scanner) Called VLAN 21

1 for VOIP ( Would like to upgrade to use POE, but not in the budget this year) Called VLAN 100

Between our 5 Switchs we have Fiber ran, that goes into a 10/100 Fiber Media Converter.

I guess my First Question is, why can't the fiber lines go directly right into Switch's SFP ports?

I have drawn our current network.  Then drawn what I feel would produce a much better back bone and setup all around.  Thoughts? Suggestions anything would be greatly appreiated.

CURRENT

Current.jpg

Trying to be

LAN new.jpg

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's no reason why the fiber needs to go via a media converter. As long as you have compatible SFPs, just use the SFP ports on the switches for your interconnections.

Leveraging the Stackwise capability is certainly a good idea. You'll need to plan your stack and re-provision the switches accordingly.

As far as your VLAN connections, there's no need to use physically separate lines for VLAN 20 and 21 as you have indicated on your "LAN new" diagram. I'd just trunk the interswitch connections and allow all VLANs over the trunks. You could even bond the two links together into a portchannel interface then for higher bandwidth.