cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Third party SFP optics on a ONS15216 DWDM Mux solution

leon_funnell
Level 1
Level 1

We have an existing DWDM network utilising 15216-SC-4B band splitters and 15216-FLA-8 8 port Mux filters. The devices connected to the filters already are an ONS15454 with MXP_MR_10DME and some 10GE Xenpaks in 6509s.

We need to connect in some Brocade SAN Switches as these are the only ones supported for a Netapp metrocluster solution. We have two options for this:-

1. Purchase 6 x MXP_MR_10DME cards at great expense

2. Add another pair of 8 port MUXs on the next available band and use third pary SFPs that are supported in the Brocade. Smartoptics make a 4Gb FC DWDM 100Ghz SFP which is ITU-T standard. Is there any reason I cannot patch these Smartoptics SFPs through a Cisco 15216-FLA-8 mux? Will this be supported?

Thanks...

4 Replies 4

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should be able to deploy option #2.

As with any optical network, just make sure the SFP reach is greater than your link loss and the SFP wavelength matches the filter's wavelengths.

Thanks. The question is less about whether it will work or not - I have a good optical budget and EDFAs if needed, but more about supportability as far as Cisco TAC goes, etc. If I deploy these and I have an issue will they say "sorry we wont support any part of your optical network because you are using non-cisco kit". Unlikely but I know vendors who do this!

I wouldn't expect that this would impact support for the Cisco product, but then again, I am not Cisco. It does get tricky for vendors to determine how to support mixed networks.

But, I believe the Cisco optical design software allows for alien wavelength modeling into their DWDM systems. This would seem to be the same here.

If I am not wrong ur network is like cisco network- Third party network.

If the problem is related to errors etc I think u can figure out where the problem is and either cisco/third party then have to take care to the problem.

Only problem I see is when optics goes bad. It can be bad of any fault in that equipment or by other equipment. Sometimes power level can go up to a level not accepted by receiver

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card