Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA186 will not invoke ringing on Analogue phone

pcresswell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is the first time I have set up an ATA186 and I am using it with CM3.1(4a).

I have installed the Skinny software image on to it and added 2 devices as a 7960s in CM, and assigned DNs as stated in documentation. I can make calls from either line, but when I try to call a DN on the ATA186 it does not cause the analogue telephone to ring. However if the analogue phone goes off hook, the call is connected and 2-way audio is available. The only problem is it just wont ring!

Any ideas?

I am in the UK and so I am using a converter for the RJ11 ports on the back of the ATA. Does this mean I have to make a configuration change so that the ATA uses the correct wires for ring signalling?

Thanks

Peter

4 Replies 4

rickb
Level 3
Level 3

Bear with me on specific numbers here, but I know the ATA's don't push out a lot of voltage to ring a phone. We had an issue where the phones were older models and need more DC voltage (90V?)in order to ring the phones. The ATA's would only push out a smaller amount of voltage (40V). We had to get phones that are typically seen in a hotel that needed less voltage in order to get them to ring consistently. Below is a link that may help:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/ata/ataadmn/sccp/sccpaapg.htm#xtocid5

Of course, the above is for the States, so I'm not sure what standards are in the U.K.

Rick

UK phones all use 40VDC so I think I should be OK there.

The UK ATA186 still has RJ11 sockets on the back rather than UK phone sockets (Can't remember the code), so I am using a converter. I am wondering if maybe UK phones use a different pair of wires for the ringing signal?

Do you know of any configuration relating to th above? I can't.

Thanks for your help.

Check if the ringing feature is disabled on CM for this device. Goto Directory Number Configuration, then scroll down to the bottom of the page.

m-constantine
Level 1
Level 1

Peter,

I think you might need a RJ-11 -> BT Jack converter with a built in capacitor to allow the ringing through. I think some converters are just wire maps.

Regards

Mike