cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Complete Exchange reinstallation

ptsao
Level 1
Level 1

Client just recently rebuild thier Exchange server (They have a UM enviroment with Unity on a different box).

They have exported all of the users and reimported all of the users back (using exchange export utility with the Exchange Administrator). REimported all of the mails back into users' mailboxes.

So at this point, the yellow Cisco Unity folder is missing from Exchange Administrator. Unity is working properly but has a lot of error messages in the event viewer.

Question is: Do we need to rerun the 2nd portion of the Unity setup to re-associate with the Exchange server?

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If Unity is working and taking messages for both internal and outside (unidentified callers) there's no need to reassociate with an Exchange box, we're talking to Exchange OK.

What you're missing in that Unity folder, however, is the locaiton object. This means no networking functionality will fly at all and you'll continue getting errors in the event log (and apps like dbWalker while scream to high heaven about it).

You should be able to recreate this easily, however, assuming you're on a recent 3.1 build. I just tested this on my 3.1(5) install and it worked fine:

Run \commserver\Configmgr.exe. Select the "Configure Default Location" radio button and hit "run". The happy armadillo will jump around and then come back with a success message (hopefully).

Now run "\commserver\configurationsetup\setup.exe -sync". The sync command line parameter will have it just syncronize what's in SQL with the directory - in this case it willc reate the OU of "Unity" and then create the locations folder and the location object under it on the fly.

After that you should be good to go. If you're on an older 3.x build this gets a little trickier - you can skip the configmgr.exe setup above and just try resynching SQL in that case... assuming the SQL tables are in good shape that should work.

I will go ahead and do this once i have a chance. Upon investigating this a little more in depth, i realized that the "All subscribers" distribution list is no longer there as well as the Unity - "Server Name" user account.

Would the aforemention method fix this problem as well?

Under the Raw properties of each user object in Exchange, I no longer see any Voice-Mail properties. Would this be an issue down the line also?