cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DIRT Tool

jidesai
Level 1
Level 1

Can you use DIRT to restore Unity database on Unity server buit with a ghost image? The Unity ghost server will have more than 10 preexisting subscribers. In other words, it will not be a clean Unity install. I am interested in Unity Ver. 4.0(2) VM only application.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that's correct.

No, there is no limit. The 10 user limit there is what is considered the line between a "clean system" and a "dirty system". If you have more than 10 users on your system I assume it's a production installation and don't let DiRT restore run on it. If you run with the /dirtyrestore command line option this check is not made and it will continue regardless.

Just make sure the system you're restoring on has a fully working Unity server (regardless of the number of users on it). Make sure you can add users, import users, it takes calls etc... The number one problem that gets reported to me as "DiRT broke our system" is folks running DiRT restore on a system that is not fully functional (followed closely by folks who did a backup of a messed up system). As long as the backup is of a nicely functioning system and the restore is on a nicely functioning system you should be fine.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The checks for preexisting users (i.e. to make sure it's a clean install) are mostly there for your protection to make sure you don't accidentially wipe out a production system - I had this happen a couple times early in DiRT's life so I stuck that check in there to keep folks from stumbling here.

You can skip the check by running DiRT restore with the "/dirtyrestore" command line option - then you can restore over any system of the same version that was backed up regardless of if it has current users/configuration on it or not.

Thanks for your response. So what you are saying is that by default, one cannot use DiRT to restore pre-existing Unity server with configuration on it. This can be overcome by running restore with the /dirtyrestore command line option. Right? Secondly, is there a limit on the number of subscribers one can restore with DiRT? I read an article on answermonkey.net that said "Unity must be running, must have no more than 10 subscribers and must have successfully synchronized with the directory during installation before DiRT will run."

Thanks again for you help.

Yes, that's correct.

No, there is no limit. The 10 user limit there is what is considered the line between a "clean system" and a "dirty system". If you have more than 10 users on your system I assume it's a production installation and don't let DiRT restore run on it. If you run with the /dirtyrestore command line option this check is not made and it will continue regardless.

Just make sure the system you're restoring on has a fully working Unity server (regardless of the number of users on it). Make sure you can add users, import users, it takes calls etc... The number one problem that gets reported to me as "DiRT broke our system" is folks running DiRT restore on a system that is not fully functional (followed closely by folks who did a backup of a messed up system). As long as the backup is of a nicely functioning system and the restore is on a nicely functioning system you should be fine.

Thanks again. That was exactly what I need to know.