cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating subscribers from Unity 4.2 to Unity 7.0

bryantmarsh
Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading my Exchange 2003 environment to Exchange 2010. I have Unity 4.2 with about 340 subscribers integrated into Exchange 2003.

I have successfully installed Clean install of Unity 7.02.ES with Exchange 2010 in my lab according to the recently posted installation guide.

There are multiple tools available that I can use ie. DiRT, COBRAS and GSM.

I just need to know what is the recommended best practice to move my subscribers along with voice messages, greetings, etc.. from my Unity 4.2 running in parallel with my new Unity 7 in production after the migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.

17 Replies 17

My preference would be to go with COBRAS.  If you stand up both Unity systems in the same domain, you are going to use GSM in some

capacity (primarily it's a "move" operation that moves user objects from one system to the other and cleans up all the AD attributes).  You can still (and  is noted to do so in that scenario) do that as part of a COBRAS migration.  Where you gain from COBRAS is the seemless retention of user data, call handler data, and so forth.  Where you put in work (but still gain) in a COBRAS migration is that you still need to build out some configurations on the new 7.x server; however, in many cases I see this as an opportunity to avoid the "garbage in, garbage out".  You can actually think about your Subscriber Templates, Class of Service, and etc as opposed to, what often occurs, using the defaults.  If it were me, I'd go COBRAS.   I have a long presentation I can send you a link for on that.  In conjunction with COBRAS help (and Jeff Lindborg) frequenting the boards, there is a lot of support out there for you.  In addition, COBRAS is a TAC supported tool.  My 2 cents.

To answer your question about will GSM work with the new server being built with different service accounts - I would say you have to look at it differently.  For those service accounts, GSM won't be needed because they've only ever homed to that server.  However, for all of your users -  you'd still need GSM to clean up their associate with one system and associate them with the new.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks for the info.  I just got off a project where I migrated a Unity 5.x to Unity 7.x with new hardware. It was a piece of cake using cobras and GSM.  Offcourse they were exchange 2007,  I used all the same accounts already in the AD domain for the old unity, in this case I was just wondering if I should start fresh with the Unity 7 box. I was just worried since I'm new to exchange 2010 and I don't claim to be an expert on Exchange.  So if I do the fresh install Unity 7 and exchange 2010 I should be able to migrate both 2003 and 2010 mailboxes as subscribers correct ? in your opinion..

Based on what I know, my OPINION (I've luckily been able to have customers hold off on early adoption of Exchange 2010) is that you should be fine.  COBRAS does what COBRAS does and is pretty standard.  I reviewed the notes again on it and dont see any reference to Exchange 2010 specifically as far as import goes.  Just make sure you follow the Exchange 2010 install to a tee and from there, you will and should be good to go.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!