cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Personal Assistant With Unity and G729

mwheinz
Level 1
Level 1

I'm installing PA 1.44, integrated with Callmanager 3.34 and Unity 4.04(unified, EX2K). The customer wants their Unity voicemails stored using g729 to conserve disk space. During the Unity upgrade to 4.04 from 4.02, the installer requested the desired codec, saying the prompts should match the message store, so I selected g729. So now I have g729 prompts and message store. It works fine now with just Callmanager and Unity, but what is going to be the impact of a PA integration? I understand g729 is not supported with PA. If I configure hardware transcoders, would that square me away? Will I have to change Unity to g711 entirely? If anyone has any experience along these lines, please advise!

Thanks for any advise!

3 Replies 3

kthorngr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

PA does not use the Unity prompts. You will run into is that PA copies the voicemail.wav file from Exchange then plays it using the Nuance Speech server. Only G.711 is supported for this.

Kev

So, does this mean that even with transcoders, the Unity message store must be g711? Please share your experiences with PA. I'll be installing PA next week and want to know what to expect.

Thanks for your help!

A Transcoder will not help. The voicemail message is not being streamed from Unity but copied from Exchange to the PA server. You will hear what sounds like a blank voicemail. PA only supports G.711. This PA FAQ states this as well:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2026/products_qanda_item09186a00801911b8.shtml#q11

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kevin