cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Priority Queuing on GE

rob.maynard
Level 1
Level 1

I have L3 6500's configured in a MAN topology connected by Gigabit Ethernet. Our customer would like QOS configured to prioritze voice and then subsequent COS. I am proposing to use PQ. This i beleiev gives me 4 queues. How do i configure these ques???

2 Replies 2

rshanmugam
Level 1
Level 1

Rob :

Yes you are right that the PQ supports 4 queues as Normal,high,medium and low.I assume that you are aware of the QoS concepts such as classification,marking,prioritizing and policing.Hope the below link would help you in configuring the PQ at layer 3.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800c60d0.html

- Raj

PQ is probably not the right QOS mechanism here. This is the oldest type of QOS you find in IOS and dates back to the mid 90s. If you look for something with a priority queue rather have a look a Low Latency Queuing (LLQ) which is a more recent approach. In newer IOS there is also a feature called auto qos which is a kind of a config macro that helps you to set up an LLQ config. Look for auto qos voip commands in your command reference.