cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS General Configuration

Pius Nolih
Level 1
Level 1

Will this configuration be sufficient to carry out a priority of Voice traffic to Branch network .

I have allocated 50% of the bandwidth for Voice

class-map match-any voice
  match access-group name Voice_Class
  match ip dscp cs3  ef
!
policy-map VOIP
 class voice
  priority percent 50
 class class-default
  fair-queue

access-list Voice_Class permit ip any any dscp ef
access-list Voice_Class permit ip any any dscp cs3

Gi0/0
service-policy output VOIP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It depends on how much voice traffic you are generating, and what the bandwidth of the link is. to whether 50% is the right figure for your network or not.  If you're only doing a couple of call, and have lots of bandwidth, then 50% is going to be overkill.  But conversely, if you only have a small link, but are doing many concurrent calls, then 50% may not be enough.  

To help you work out what you may need, there are some useful Voice Bandwidth figures in Table 1-3 in the Enterprise QoS Solution Reference Network Design Guide

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It depends on how much voice traffic you are generating, and what the bandwidth of the link is. to whether 50% is the right figure for your network or not.  If you're only doing a couple of call, and have lots of bandwidth, then 50% is going to be overkill.  But conversely, if you only have a small link, but are doing many concurrent calls, then 50% may not be enough.  

To help you work out what you may need, there are some useful Voice Bandwidth figures in Table 1-3 in the Enterprise QoS Solution Reference Network Design Guide

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the Document and insight. I have installed Netflow and noticed cs5 cs3 and EF being identified under QOS, I will read through the article and make sense of it.

As a general question from what I understand is QOS becomes effected if Bandwitdh is an issue right.

For cases where Bandwidth is not any issue, will this config apply or should I configure Queuing.

This is off the fact that I would require Packets hitting the router interface for processing should also be prioritized before going out the interface.

thanks

Thanks for the Document and insight. I have installed Netflow and noticed cs5 cs3 and EF being identified under QOS, I will read through the article and make sense of it.

As a general question from what I understand is QOS becomes effected if Bandwitdh is an issue right.

For cases where Bandwidth is not any issue, will this config apply or should I configure Queuing.

This is off the fact that I would require Packets hitting the router interface for processing should also be prioritized before going out the interface.

thanks