cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRST w/ CM on same VLAN as phone

mbell
Level 1
Level 1

I have several customers that want SRST for phones that are on the same VLAN as the CallManager servers. The way I understood that SRST works, the phone configuration traffic must pass THROUGH the SRST for the router to know about the phone. If the CM servers are on the same VLAN, though, the keepalives and phone configuration traffic does not pass through the router. See diagram below.

(same VLAN)

phone----------switch----------CallManager

............................|

............................|

........................router

as opposed to the "standard" SRST configuration:

phone----------router-----WAN----router--------CallManager

However, I have read in some of the documents that the phones use their "default gateway" if the CallManagers fail. If that is the case, then it seems to me that even if the router is not in the path between the phones and CMs, as long as the SRST router is the default gateway, the phones would register with it.

Can anybody clarify this?

2 Replies 2

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Since there has been no response to your post, it appears to be either too complex or too rare an issue for other forum members to assist you, or there is no public information available at this time. If you don't get a suitable response to your post, you may wish to review our resources at the online http://www.cisco.com/go/solutions. You may also contact our product information line at 1-800-553-NETS or a Cisco Systems Engineer at your local Cisco office or reseller. To locate your local Cisco representative, visit http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/687/Directory.shtml

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

FYI... This does work. As long as the phone has its default gateway pointed to the SRST router, it will register with it after losing connectivity with all CallManager servers.