cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Still trying to recover from a Exchange/DC rebuild

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

To recap, in my exchange migration environment, I had a Unity 3.13 working with two exchange servers. Due to a ADC mishap, we erased the DC and two Exchange servers and restored to the point just before the ADC. I tried rerunning the configsetup again, but ran into some issues that prevented Unity from pushing the message over to xchange.<br><br>I have since used the Uninstall tool to remove Unity and reinstalled Unity from scratch. The install process went through without any errors. Unity is up and running, I added a couple subscribers and left messages for them as well. I am still not getting any MWI or messages pushed to my exchange account.<br><br>When I attempt to retrieve messages by dialing in through Call Manager, I am able to log into my voicemail account, but I get the message "sorry, but your messages are not available now".<br><br>I get these three error log messages just as Unity answers to take a message when I try to leave a voice mail.<br><br><br><br>Event Type: Error<br>Event Source: SQLSERVERAGENT<br>Event Category: Alert Engine <br>Event ID: 318<br>Date: 6/14/2002<br>Time: 12:06:28 PM<br>User: N/A<br>Computer: T-BH-SOFT<br>Description:<br>Unable to read local eventlog (reason: The event log file has changed between read operations). <br><br><br>Event Type: Information<br>Event Source: SQLSERVERAGENT<br>Event Category: Alert Engine <br>Event ID: 311<br>Date: 6/14/2002<br>Time: 12:06:28 PM<br>User: N/A<br>Computer: T-BH-SOFT<br>Description:<br>Attempting to to re-open the local eventlog... <br><br><br>Event Type: Warning<br>Event Source: SQLSERVERAGENT<br>Event Category: Alert Engine <br>Event ID: 312<br>Date: 6/14/2002<br>Time: 12:06:28 PM<br>User: N/A<br>Computer: T-BH-SOFT<br>Description:<br>Successfully re-opened the local eventlog - NOTE: Some events may have been missed. <br><br><br>As soon as I hang up the phone ending my leaving a message, these error log events occur instantly...<br><br><br>Event Type: Error<br>Event Source: AvCs_MC<br>Event Category: None<br>Event ID: 100<br>Date: 6/14/2002<br>Time: 12:06:39 PM<br>User: N/A<br>Computer: T-BH-SOFT<br>Description:<br>Exception occurred and handled in File: e:\views\Unity3.1.2.41\un_Doh1\MalMapi\MALEx\AvMALExRecipients.cpp at Line: 1201 - Error: 80004005H Call stack: <br>0x5E53414D AvMalExSvr.dll: <unknown symbol><br>0xFEDCBA98 <unknown module>: : <unknown symbol><br>0x89ABCDEF <unknown module>: : <unknown symbol><br>0x77D5298F RPCRT4.DLL: RpcRevertToSelf + 858 bytes<br> <br><br><br>Event Type: Error<br>Event Source: AvConvMsg_MC<br>Event Category: Error <br>Event ID: 10002<br>Date: 6/14/2002<br>Time: 12:06:39 PM<br>User: N/A<br>Computer: T-BH-SOFT<br>Description:<br>IAvDohMessage::Submit returned [0x80040920] on line 294 of file e:\views\Unity3.1.2.41\un_Core2\ConversationEng\AvStateSvr\AvSMsgSend.cpp <br><br>Running conversation PHGreeting on Port 1 <br><br>Running conversation MessageEditing on Port 1 <br><br> <br><br><br>Event Type: Error<br>Event Source: AvConvMsg_MC<br>Event Category: Error <br>Event ID: 10002<br>Date: 6/14/2002<br>Time: 12:06:39 PM<br>User: N/A<br>Computer: T-BH-SOFT<br>Description:<br>This message has the following recipients : <br><br>Running conversation PHGreeting on Port 1 <br><br>Running conversation MessageEditing on Port 1 <br><br><br>I checked both the Example Administrator Account (unaddressed messages) and UnityMTA directory, but neither are holding my voicemail test messages.<br><br>Any suggestions?<br><br>Does it matter that I'm trying to bring up Unity in an Ex55 environment with a one way ADC connection agreement that takes Ex55 info and populates AD? I would think this is totally transparent to Unity.<br> <br><br><br>

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Looks like my answer from the old AvFourms didn't make it over on this thread...

Short story is that error code means that Exchange is barking at us that you can't send a message that has no recipients listed. I've never seen this one in the field... You're message going out is not even being submitted since it's not addressed to anyone for whatever reason. I'm guessing but it sounds like you have some fundamental configuration issue between Unity and your Exchange/Directory setup.

You have a mixed environement (i.e. Ex55 and 2K in one site)? If so, is the Exchange server you selected during part 2 setup (configuration setup) an Exchange 5.5 box or a 2K server? In a mixed environement we need to be talking to AD so you have to hook us to a 2K box. Just a shot in the dark...

I guess the original reply didn't work... but I think you're onto something here.

Originally, the Unity box was in a Ex55 only environment and working fine. We then brought up the ADC (one way from 55 to AD) and a couple of Ex2K boxes.

At that point, everything worked fine because there were no users moved over to the Ex2K box. However, we experienced a non-Unity related problem in the lab, and ended up taking down the DC, Ex55 and Ex2K boxes... leaving only the Unity box.

Here's where the problem may be... the lab was rebuilt (a new DC and Ex55 boxes) and the ADC/Ex2K boxes were brought up into the lab before I was able to re-connect the old Unity box.

I thought that since all the users were still living in the Ex55 environment that it made no difference whether or not the ADC or Ex2K boxes were integrated or not. Kind of like the boxes were there, but as far as Unity was concerned, it was still a Ex55 only environment. Is this an incorrect assumption? Is there a difference between

a) bringing in Ex2K and ADC into an already existing environment

b) bringing in Unity after it is a mixed mode (with no Ex2K users) environment

???

Thanks so much for your help.

If all the users you have on Unity are on the Exchange 5.5 boxes then you should be able to connect to an Exchange 5.5 box and all is well. It's only when you start wanting to add users on Ex2K or move some of those 55 users to 2K that you will start having problems... in that case you need Unity connected to an E2K box using AD and use ADC connectors to get your 5.5 data into AD and back such that Unity can "see" it in AD.

Not sure exactly what you have going on in your lab at this point... I can't suggest anything specific here other than to start over since it sounds like some stuff got out of whack along the way in this environement.

I will start over... but one last question for you. Does the Answer Monkey uninstall Unity clean up the server so that it is "just as clean" as if you were to reinstall the OS and go through the many steps of setting up a Unity box?

Is there any advantage to reformatting the Unity box and starting over instead of just running the uninstall and then reinstalling Unity?

Thank you very much for all your help.

The uninstall utility does a reasonably good job of removing all the files, unregistering the DLLs, taking down the IIS pages, removing registry keys etc... and our QA folks have tested it by installing older versions of Unity, uninstall, install newer versions, uninstall, install older version etc... and it's passed those tests. However, you're system is not "just as it was" before you installed Unity... there will be the occasional file that couldn't be removed (which is noted in the log) and the shared system file that was updated and the like.

If you're concerned about making sure your system is truly clean, I'd start from scratch.