Views
Helpful
Replies

Subscribers Export from Unity 3.1(3) to Unity 4.1

mshekhawat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have installed Unity 4.1 on a New Server, And i want to import all my Subsribers with their Boxes,passwords and other settings from another Server running Unity 3.1(3).

What is the best WAY to get this done.

Maneesh

3 Replies 3

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only way to do this without loosing anything is to uninstall 4.0, do a DiRT backup of the 3.1.3 system, install 3.1.3 on the new server, do a DiRT restore, then upgrade to 4.0.2 (then possibly upgrade to 4.0.3, if that's the desired version). You should look at the DiRT documentation at www.ciscounitytools.com. It requires the backup/restore to be the samve version.

Hi,

Thanks for your response,

I was wondering if just by exporting the SQL database and importing onto the new server get us the complete settings as such ?

As installing Unity 3 again and then importing the database and then upgrading it to 4.0 is is a real pain :(

Thanks

Maneesh

if you just export the SQL data and import it into another Unity server you'll basically have a big mess on your hands. This is what DiRT's doing for you but it's doing the heavy lifting of running through the data (as well as local files necessary and registry settings etc...) and adjusting everything for the appropriate server name, back end configuration etc... on the fly. The data in the UnityDB database is not "portable", it does contain specific references to the local install environement that will need to be changed on a new system.

further, if you did that cross Unity versions you'd have an even bigger mess as new tables/columns have been added (and a few removed) across versions of Unity. This is why DiRT requires you export/import onto the same version of Unity - doing a migration AND an upgrade at the same time would be a bit of a nightmare.

I know it's extra work to have to install 3.x and then upgrade but if you want to save your data, that's what you'll have to do.