cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity with Multiple Exchane 5.5 in differtent NT domains

chad-nelson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Unity 3.1.5 Server using a exchange 5.5 message store on a different server in the same domian, I am able to import users from that Exchange 5.5 store. When I try to import users form the other Exchange servers the users can not be found. The Exchange servers are in the same Exchange Site but in different NT domains. I have established a two way trust between the domains but I still can not import from the other Exchange 5.5 server. Can anyone tell me if there is a solution for this problem.

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is this true for both the SA and the Import utility?

I think both are using the IDC (Import Directory Connector) here and that may assume the domain of the primary Exchange server (the one we connect to during configuration setup) when filtering for servers to gather users from - I'll check with the back end folks to be sure.

in addition to knowing if this is seen in the SA and/or AVImport, the database folks suggested having you connect to the Exchange server that Unity is attached to (the one you can import users from) and see if the users from the other servers in the site show up in that's server's Exchange admin. The IDC is simply doing a filter via LDAP on that server's view of the directory and if for whatever reason it's not showing everyone, we wont see everyone. Just want to rule out Exchange directory replication issues first...

chad-nelson
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for the confusion, it appears that the exchange servers are in separate sites but the same organization. I am told that I can use MSW (Microsoft server wizard) to move one server into a new or existing site. If I choose to move both into to a new site would that affect Unity's ability to talk to the exchange server that it uses now. Unity is in production so I want to avoid as much disruption as possible. The customer is also in the process of planning a migration to 2000 domains and 2000 exchange servers, should I be warning him of anything in advance that will cause problems for Unity when he implements?

I've had less than a perfect track record with the move server wiazard in the past and if you move a server that has a custom folder in it (i.e. the Unity folder we create in 2.x under the Exchange site container) it'll get trashed in the process of moving it - to be avoided.

The only thing he needs to plan for with Exchange 2000 with respect to scope is al the Exchange message stores should be in the same routing group... the only legitimate reason for setting up seperate routing groups is for bandwidth issues and obviously you don't want Unity trucking across a low bandwidth connection to query and pull messages from mail stores on the other side...