cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vm and um co-exist

shouyisun
Level 1
Level 1

Can we have VM and UM user co-exist in Unity from license point? We have a customer who wants 50 users have UM , but the other 200 with VM only. Thanks

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Asked and answered out here many times...

No, you can't have a single Unity server licensed for both UM and VM - they're seperate licenses. You can either install two servers (one with UM licenses and one with VM licenses) or buy all UM licenses for a box and simply don't use the UM features for some of the users.

What if I buy VM license for all the users and then order VM to UM upgrade for 50 users? What will be the concern or problem? Or Cisco just doesn't allow this?

The decision was made by product management to not allow mixed VM/UM licensing on a server. The customer would need to add another Unity server for the 50 UM users or upgrade all 200 licenses to UM. Those are the only available options.

Thanks,

Keith

Sorry guys , my post may sound slightly out of the original questions.I would also want to know does Exchange 2003 supports only UM? OR its an option to select either one ,depending on customer's needs.thks

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

for Unity 4.0(3) you can use Exchange 2003 with UM, yes. Previous versions of Unity did not work properly with Ex2003, however.

We do not ship Exchange 2003 with our VM only license (i.e. when you get Exchange from us for use in a VM only install you get Ex2000). If, however, you have an existing Ex2003 install and you want to install VM only by creating seperate mailboxes that Unity uses on that system, you can - you cannot, however, use mailboxes that are also being used for desktop mail access of any kind, that violate the license agreement.