Views
Helpful
Replies

7010 NXOS ISSU path 5.1(4) to 6.2(x)

kellsom01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade a pair of 7010's to 6.2(x) from 5.1(4) after the 8g memory upgrade.  Any have any experience with this upgrade path and know which if any intermediary software versions I will need to jump to for ISSU to get to 6.2?

Thanks,

Kelly 

1 Reply 1

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Kelly,

The supported ISSU upgrade paths are documented in the release notes, and for this particular upgrade you will need to refer to the NX-OX 5.2 and NX-OS 6.2 release notes as there is no supported ISSU path from NX-OS 5.1(4) to presumably NX-OS 6.2(14) i.e., the latest release.

For your reference you will need to review the Supported Upgrade and Downgrade Paths section of the NX-OS 6.2 release notes and the General Upgrade/Downgrade Caveats section of the NX-OS 5.2 release notes.

Looking at the supported upgrade paths, it’s going to be fairly torturous. There are different options, but one supported path would be as follows:

• NX-OS 5.1(4) to NX-OS 5.2(5)
  • NX-OS 5.2(5) to NX-OS 5.2(7)
  • NX-OS 5.2(7) to NX-OS 6.2(8a)
  • NX-OS 6.2(8a) to NX-OS 6.2(14)

In terms of ISSU, I’ve found the actual process works very well, but… we’ve seen some weird issues a couple of times with packet forwarding and/or packet drops where the programming of the hardware e.g., the I/O modules, does not always match the programming in software. When we’ve run into these situations it has required TAC to diagnose the issue, at times using their escalation teams, and ultimately there’s been no solution other than to reload the entire device.

I don’t mention this to put you off, but to advise in case you start to experience weird forwarding behaviour.

Regards