cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A bit confused over what is NOT mentioned, in the manual provided with my DPQ3212 modem from my service provider.

ffman2101
Level 1
Level 1

I got this Cisco modem, DPQ3212, from my service provider, COX. Had it better than 2 years, and seems to work well. I also have a Netgear router paired with it, that has my ethernet hard wired to it and not the modem.  There's an event that started to occur recently, that keeps causing BUFFERING with what I'm watching on my TV. With COX, I pay for 50 mbs, which COX then doubles, so bandwidth should not be the reason for buffering. If it matters, it happens on my Roku player, and COX tech who came out, said after testing the modem. it was working fine, so trouble is a router going bad. So I'll soon have to replace the router with a new one, or maybe instead, go with an all in one unit, and try that instead. But that is what is leading up to this issue I have.

I'm 63, retired AND disabled, but I still get around okay. I cut that CABLE CORD about 7 years back, and haven't regretted it, once. My Roku has a USB port and has channels you can use to view things on a USB memory external memory device, and it works great. I noticed when the COX tech guy came, that there is a USB port, in the back of my modem. I also have a USB port on my router, but when I enabled it and plugged in a USB device, it created a problem with my internet connection, and when I unplugged the device, the problem disappeared. So, not wanting to mess things up with the modem, I took my CD that came with it, and it has a 40 page manual, included on it. I opened it up and saw something that is confusing to me. It mentioned having to load DRIVERS that are on the CD, and that is no problem. But what is, is that my manual ONLY lists Windows 2000, XP and Vista, in it, and all three, have different steps to take, to install the USB drivers, correctly. The problem becomes, what about my OS, Windows 7? It isn't mentioned, nor is 8. 8.1 and of course, Windows 10. Does not mentioning other OS's mean, they have the necessary drivers already installed? Or is it a matter of an old manual, that came out before any other OS became available? I called to ask COX tech support what it meant, but the lady I spoke with, said to contact Cisco. Great. Only Cisco only helps businesses, and I'm an individual, at home, so no help there. So at this point, I'm stuck in the middle, trying to find an answer to this. A side note, is I read that this modem, has a USB 1.1, which to me is saying it's not a 2.0 or 3.0, means it's way to slow, to stream video from a USB device. If I'm right, then I've wasted a lot of time, trying to get this working. Any ideas, would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 Replies 0