cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Amateurish Datacentric questions - pls help

Aryanaresh
Level 1
Level 1

I know this may sound odd for tech savvy's but I am new to datacentric environment, can someone help me please (I read few blogs but still need clear explanation)

1. What VDC, VPC, VSS does?

2. What are the difference between Cisco 6XXX series and Cisco nexus 7XXX series ?

3.Why people less talk about cisco 9XXX series (Aggregation layer) than cisco nexus 7K, 5K and 2K.

I have many more questions lingering in my mind, let see first i get an answer for this.

2 Replies 2

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

VDC's - Virtual Device Contexts. Means I can split a physical nexus in to logical nexus which are totally isolated. If I want to connect VDC's together from within the same chassis there would be a cable coming out of one port on the nexus belonging to VDC 1 and physically plugging back to the same chassis to a different VDC e.g. VDC 2.

VPC - Virtual Port Channel. Its a means to provide an end host or switch(s) with multiple physical links to from two separate Nexus devices, be it the 7Ks or the 5Ks, that is one virtual link, like port-channel or etherchannel. But is not a stacking technology for Nexus.

VSS - Virtual switching system. This is a great technology whereby two physical chassis like c6500's can form in to one virtual device - this is like a stacking technology, you have one of the chassis active in the control plane, but both are forwarding data plane traffic.

The Cisco ASR 9000 is probably more of a service provider router - very powerful for routing and extremely controlled! OS and command line is a lot different that normal IOS or NXOS.

The Cisco Nexus is more a Data Center or Core network switch where it has a fairly rich feature set to support data center applications with technologies like OTV inbuilt.

Hope this helps.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Thank you Bilal for your time....wink

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: