Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot login to console port from terminal server

dvag-nsafe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

This might be too easy for you guys, but i'm goin nuts here.

I have two N9K set up in the datacenter.

I am able to login to the console when directly connected with my laptop. But i can NOT login when i'm in the office and try it over the terminal server.

Terminal server is a Lantronix and it is easy to set up. I do get to the login prompt, but when i try to login with the local configured user, i don't get in, nor does the tacacs+ user work. How is this possible? How is this different from when i login with my laptop directly?

Appreciate your help!

Christian

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you actually getting a deny message suggesting a bad username/password, or some other issue?

It is possible the characters are getting corrupted.  Are you sure you are using 8N1 with no flow control?

Are you sure you are connecting to the device you think you are via the terminal server?  If you remove the console cable does the output on your screen definitely stop?

Hi Phil,

to answer your Questions:

I get the message "Access denied", like if i used the wrong credentials. But they work with SSH over the VTY. There is no access-list applied.

I am using 8N1 no flow control.

I'm sure to connect to the correct device. I checked the cabling on site.

I have a local user admin and my tacacs+ login. Both are working fine over inline management.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: