cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Controlling ports in 1000v

lpereira1
Level 1
Level 1

I just setup a 1000v with 2 VSM and 4 VEMS. I was asked if there was a way to make it so that when a server is assigned to a port-profile the network is shutdown until a network admin manually goes intot he switch and enables the port. I tried to set the port-profile to a shutdown state but this did not seem to work nor could I find the virtual port the server had been put on.

If this is not possible what other ways can control of ports be done. The goal is to not allow someone to put a VM on the network unless the Network engineer is involved.

1 Reply 1

mwronkow
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

New Vethernet interfaces default to a 'no shutdown' state and we do not currently have the ability to pre-define this status.  The main concept of N1k is to separate Server and Network administrator responsibilities as much as possible - Server admins need not coordinate server installations with network admins and vise versa.

Have you considered Port-Profile Roles to restrict which vCenter users have access N1k port-profiles?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_v_1_4_a/port_profile/configuration/guide/n1000v_portprof_7role.html

If this feature is not sufficient please let me know and I will open an enhancement request.