cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FEX dual homed to Parent Switches (Nexus 6K).

mustika.wiguna
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are planning to implement FEX with Nexus 2K as TOR. Due to limited budget, only 1 TOR on each rack is possible.

I would like to know if this implementation is possible with single nexus 2K dual-homed to Nexus 6K as parent switches

I am attaching two possible design here in regard to connection from server to FEX:

1. Dual homed FEX to parent switches connected to single homed server.
  2. Dual homed FEX to parent switced connected to dual homed server (NIC teaming/ bonding)

Will these design going to work? Please advise

Thank you

BR,

Mustika

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo, I believe dual-homing is OK now.  This is from the 6K documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/i/300001-400000/330001-340000/331001-332000/331186.tif/_jcr_content/renditions/331186.jpg

I've got this deployed at the moment.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The most popular deployment is single-home the FEX to a single parent switch, however, there are multiple links from the FEX to the parent switch. 

Not a lot of people have dual-homed FEX.  

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your response. The concern is redundancy on 6K side, so if one Nexus 6K goes down.The other will handle the traffic. I realize this design will have single point of failure on Nexus 2K side

What do you think about this design, is it going to works? Please suggest

Thank you

BR.

Mustika

You single-home FEX to their parent switch.  The parent switches are link together using vPC.  The server is dual-homed to two FEX.

If one FEX fails, then the servers second link will be able to divert traffic.

Leo, I believe dual-homing is OK now.  This is from the 6K documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/i/300001-400000/330001-340000/331001-332000/331186.tif/_jcr_content/renditions/331186.jpg

I've got this deployed at the moment.  

hi Leo, Hautelooksysadmins,

Thank you guys for the help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: