Views
Helpful
Replies

Forbidden command error on Cisco HyperFlex Storage Controller VM

Vikramaditya_J
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I have recently deployed a HyperFlex cluster (version 4.5.0(2a)) and I am trying to install Cisco HyperFlex HTML5 plugin for VMware vCenter (HyperFlex-VC-HTML-Plugin-2.1.0.zip). I followed the process mentioned under KB: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/AdminGuide/4_0/b_HyperFlexSystems_AdministrationGuide_4_0/m-html-plug-in-for-vmware-vcenter.html#id_131707

However, when I login into the controller VM with "admin" account and invoke any command e.g. python install_vc_plugin.py, I get following error:

*** forbidden command -> "python"

*** You have 4 warning(s) left, before getting kicked out.

This incident has been reported.

So can anyone please advice what's wrong with this and how to fix it?

I'll appreciate any response.

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please note the exact command you need to run called out in admin guide at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/AdminGuide/4-5/b-hxdp-admin-guide-4-5/m-html-plug-in-for-vmware-vcenter.html#id_131707

install_vc_plugin

Don't include extension, or try to include ./

Kirk...

Thanks Kirk.

The unzipped content contains "install_vc_plugin.py" (which is available in latest verseions of HyperFlex) and not "install_vc_plugin" (which was available in 4.0(x) and earlier versions) as mentioned in the KB.

However, I tried all options, including:-

./install_vc_plugin

./install_vc_plugin.py

python install_vc_plugin

python ./install_vc_plugin

python install_vc_plugin.py

python ./install_vc_plugin.py

But no luck at all. In all cases, I got the same forbidden command error.

I think the problem is with "admin" user, which is the only available user for controller VMs. If we see the KB https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/AdminGuide/4_0/b_HyperFlexSystems_AdministrationGuide_4_0/m-html-plug-in-for-vmware-vcenter.html#id_131707 we can see that commands are run with "root" user and not "admin" user.

Also in the KB you shared, there's mentioned that "Admin users have limited shell access with only restricted commands available." and "Access is only available through local root Consent Token process." and also "Logging in to the root shell of a controller, for troubleshooting purposes, requires Cisco TAC to be involved."

So I think I should involve Cisco TAC in this.

Your examples seem to be missing the one I suggested:

install_vc_plugin

Only type the exact characters listed above.

Thanks,

Kirk... 

Thanks Kirk.

Tried this one also, however since no file named "install_vc_plugin" exists so it threw an error. The executable file that came bundled has name "install_vc_plugin.py" and I tried it as it is but again got "forbidden command" error.

iamtheroot
Level 1
Level 1

i did come across the same issue but for HX 4.5 it's  just the command install_vc_plugin   from admin prompt ( like @Kirk J  mentioned)