Views
Helpful
Replies

Jumbo frames mtu interoperability

ajayreddy28390
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I see that we can configure on Nexus Jumbo frames of Size 9216 Bytes.Usually, default mtu on interface is 1500 bytes.

I remember that, fragmentation only on Router level (L3).

My Questions are below:

1. What if two switches with one side default mtu and other end jumbo mtu is set. How packets flow and how it affects data transfer. Any fragmentation?

2. At Packet level, how default mtu and jumbo mtu differs in data transfer.

3. Jumbo mtu useful only with in Data center switches with all interfaces jumbo mtu enabled ?

1 Reply 1

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ajay,

I would suggest checking the documentation of your specific Nexus model, for example if you check the Nexus 9000 documentation, it says the following:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_chapter_010.html#concept_5B90A64021804159B716BE57A235B802

Port MTU Size

The maximum transmission unit (MTU) size specifies the maximum frame size that an Ethernet port can process. For transmissions to occur between two ports, you must configure the same MTU size for both ports. A port drops any frames that exceed its MTU size.

By default, each port has an MTU of 1500 bytes, which is the IEEE 802.3 standard for Ethernet frames. Larger MTU sizes are possible for more efficient processing of data with less overhead. The larger frames, called jumbo frames, can be up to 9216 bytes in size, which is also the default system jumbo MTU size.

On a Layer 3 interface, you can configure an MTU size between 576 and 9216 bytes.

Note

The global LAN port MTU size applies to the traffic through a Layer 3 Ethernet LAN port that is configured with a nondefault MTU size.

For a Layer 2 port, you can configure an MTU size that is either the system default (1500 bytes) or the system jumbo MTU size (initially 9216 bytes).

Note

If you change the system jumbo MTU size, Layer 2 ports automatically use the system default MTU size (1500 bytes) unless you specify the new system jumbo MTU size for some or all of those ports.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: