Views
Helpful
Replies

N2k and N7k Connection

Goutam Biswas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am getting confused on connection between n2k and n7k.  could anyone tell me whicy type of card required on n7k to connect n2k FEX and is it possible dual home connection from n2k to n7k?

Thanks,

Goutam

6 Replies 6

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

For the M and F line cards that support FEX see the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/models-comparison.html#~tab-b

It is possible to dual home a N2K to 2 x N7Ks using vPC.

Don't forget to rate all helpful posts.

Hi,

Thanks,  I was worried about dual home FEX to N7k.  I have ordered two 7009 and nos. of 2k.  I would like to connect n2k dual home to 2 X N7k.

I have gone through some of the articles it says...N7k doesn't support dual home FEX to two n7k.

can you give some of the scenerio and validated design where N2K dual home to n7k.  It is very important me for to confirm. I am going to deploy next week.

Pls. help on this.

Hi,

Sorry to disappoint, but as of the NX-OS releases currently available i.e., up to an including NX-OS 6.2, there is no support for dual-homed FEX on the Nexus 7000 platform.

The support for dual-homed FEX is expected to be added in the NX-OS 7.0 release that is due to be FCS in the near future.

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  Either way, I can connect 2k to two upstrem 7k as different port-chennel.  Am I right?

and Server I can connect dual home to two 2k. Is it right my understanding?

Hi,

Take a look at the document Nexus 7000 Fex Supported/Not Supported Topologies and you'll see what options you currently have.

As I mentioned, up to and including NX-OS 6.2, a single FEX can only be connected to a single Nexus 7000. This is what is shown as Figures 8, 9 and 10 in the unsupported topologies section.

A server can be connected to two different FEX, and those two FEX could be connected to a single Nexus 7000 or two different Nexus 7000. The options are shown in Figures 6 and 7.

Regards

Earl Granger IV
Level 1
Level 1

Goutam - Im using the N7K-F248XP-25 and I have my c2224 Fex attached to it.

HTH,

Earl