Views
Helpful
Replies

nexus upgrade

S891
Level 2
Level 2

HI,

I am planning to do upgrade Nexus switches from 5.2.1.N1.2 to the new NX-OS code. I am wondering what are the options for direct upgrade to new code with zero down time. I have dual N5K with N2Ks with redundant PVCs. Is there possibility for absoloutely zero downtime upgrade on a major release. 

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

nikolasgeyer
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, there are non-disruptive upgrade paths available but you need to exercise caution and understand the upgrade path and any limitations.

You can go from 5.2(1)N1(2) to 7.0(6)N1(1), then from 7.0(6)N1(1) to 7.2(0)N1(1) as non-disruptive but there are restrictions based on FEX's being used, if layer 3 daughter cards are installed etc.

I would highly recommend you read the NX-OS release notes related to your platform, specifically the Upgrading and Downgrading to a New Release section to understand the paths available for you and restrictions.

I checked for the ISSU upgrade document and the image it recommended was 7.0.3.N1. I downloaded the images on switch and did impact check. There still seems to be some issues with STP and possibly VPC due to which it says the upgrade will be disruptive. Any suggestions on how to avoid/fix this and still do the ISSU upgrade? 

N5K-1# show install all impact kickstart bootflash:n5000-uk9-kickstart.7.0.3.N1.1.bin system bootflash:n5000-uk9.7.0.3.N1.1.bin

Verifying image bootflash:/n5000-uk9-kickstart.7.0.3.N1.1.bin for boot variable "kickstart".
[####################] 100% -- SUCCESS

Verifying image bootflash:/n5000-uk9.7.0.3.N1.1.bin for boot variable "system".

Verifying image type.

Extracting "system" version from image bootflash:/n5000-uk9.7.0.3.N1.1.bin.

Extracting "kickstart" version from image bootflash:/n5000-uk9-kickstart.7.0.3.N1.1.bin.

Extracting "bios" version from image bootflash:/n5000-uk9.7.0.3.N1.1.bin.

Extracting "fexth" version from image bootflash:/n5000-uk9.7.0.3.N1.1.bin.

Performing module support checks.

Notifying services about system upgrade.

Compatibility check is done:
Module  bootable          Impact  Install-type  Reason
------  --------  --------------  ------------  ------
     1       yes      disruptive         reset  STP ISSU preupgrade check failed - Upgrade needs to be disruptive!
   101       yes      disruptive         reset  STP ISSU preupgrade check failed - Upgrade needs to be disruptive!
   102       yes      disruptive         reset  STP ISSU preupgrade check failed - Upgrade needs to be disruptive!
   111       yes      disruptive         reset  STP ISSU preupgrade check failed - Upgrade needs to be disruptive!
   112       yes      disruptive         reset  STP ISSU preupgrade check failed - Upgrade needs to be disruptive!

Images will be upgraded according to following table:
Module       Image         Running-Version             New-Version  Upg-Required
------  ----------  ----------------------  ----------------------  ------------
     1      system             5.2(1)N1(2)             7.0(3)N1(1)           yes
     1   kickstart             5.2(1)N1(2)             7.0(3)N1(1)           yes
     1        bios      v3.6.0(05/09/2012)      v3.6.0(05/09/2012)            no
     1      SFP-uC                v1.0.0.0                v1.0.0.0            no
   101       fexth             5.2(1)N1(2)             7.0(3)N1(1)           yes
   102       fexth             5.2(1)N1(2)             7.0(3)N1(1)           yes
   111       fexth             5.2(1)N1(2)             7.0(3)N1(1)           yes
   112       fexth             5.2(1)N1(2)             7.0(3)N1(1)           yes
     1   power-seq                    v5.0                    v7.0           yes
     1          uC                v1.0.0.2                v1.0.0.2            no

Additional info for this installation:
--------------------------------------
Remove QoS & ACL config on L3 interfaces and SVIs if any

Service "stp" : Port: port-channel10 in VLAN0001 is Designated. Topology change could occur during ISSU.
Upgrade needs to be disruptive!!!

Service "vpc" : STP Preupgrade Check failed on VPC peer switch

from one of your earlier post you had the same issue:-

You might get a TCN from the po 20 that might interrupt the ISSU. Incase if you have continuous TCN from that port fix it and move forward.

Use the command to find whats wrong with the configuration,

show spanning-tree issu-impact

Once fixed do the install all command again you should be able to upgrade it this time. Ofcourse you are upgrading from 5.2 to 7.0 so it would be disruptive and switch will reload and break the data-plane forwarding. That's fine anyways i assume you are going to do this in maintenance window.

More info:

ISSU prerequisites:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/upgrade/421_n2_1/b_Cisco_Nexus_5000_Series_NX-OS_Software_Upgrade_and_Downgrade_Guide__Release_421/Cisco_Nexus_5000_Series_NX-OS_Software_Upgrade_and_Downgrade_Guide__Release_421_c...