cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV Redundancy

m.sanclimenti
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with a customer that will utilize OTV over a dedicated 10G Ethernet fiber link between their two data centers. They also have an MPLS connection at the two data centers. They have 2 N7Ks with 1 M2 in each N7K at their main data center and 1 N7K with 1 M2 card at their backup data center. They want to utilize Vmotion over OTV.

They are looking for redundancy and here are my questions:

Can I configure OTV, with separate join interfaces, to the 10G link and the MPLS network?

How does OTV know to use the 10G link over the MPLS link?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

micturne
Level 4
Level 4

Today we only support 1 join interfaces.  You should work with account team on a specific roadmap for more.

I just received another response that stated "

Redundancy is possible even with a single join interface. Both the dedicated link and the MPLS network must be valid paths in the underlying IP network (I.e. The dedicated link should be made part of the routes core between the two sites).

You would then configure your routing so that the dedicated link a preferred over the MPLS network to reach the join interfaces (in either direction). You can further configure your routing so that only the join interfaces are reachable over the dedicated 10GE link and that way keep any non OTV traffic off that link.

Long story short, it is all in the routing, no need to wait on roadmaps :-) "

Let me know if that clears it up for you.

-Mike

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card