Views
Helpful
Replies

Service password encryption and enable password secret on nexus 5548

asit1111990
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have doubt in nexus. How can we confirm that following command has been enabled on nexus switches or not. I searched online but could not find an answer. , Do we need to enable feature called privilege to do so?

Service password encryption and enable password secret

Thanks

Asit A Patil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For the "service password-encryption" command in IOS there is equivalent NX-OS command as the. By default, NX-OS encrypts plain text passwords and enables password strength checking.

For vty and aux that will be encrypted already.

There is no feature you need to enable.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
See the below link for details.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/command/reference/security/n5k-sec-cr/n5k-sec_cmds_e.html

enable secret
To enable a secret password for a specific privilege level, use the enable secret command. To disable the password, use the no form of this command.
enable secret [0 | 5] password [all | priv-lvl priv-lvl]
no enable secret [0 | 5] password [all | priv-lvl priv-lvl]

Syntax Description 0
(Optional) Specifies that the password is in clear text.

5 (Optional) Specifies that the password is in encrypted format.

Hey Rick,

Thanks for your reply. So if i am correct we can manually enable this command using enable secret command . We do not need any feature on for it ? And this will encrypt the enable password. So my second question was what if we need to encrypt passwords at line vty con aux. We need service password encryption to do that. Does that command exists in nexus or by default all passwords are automatically encrypted? I mean do we need to enable feature (feature privilge) to type service password encrpyption commands ?

Thanks.

For the "service password-encryption" command in IOS there is equivalent NX-OS command as the. By default, NX-OS encrypts plain text passwords and enables password strength checking.

For vty and aux that will be encrypted already.

There is no feature you need to enable.

Thanks a lot rick for the reply. So by  there is service password encryption command in Nexus and by default all the passwords on line vty and aux are encrypted. So if we want to enable it on nexus we use service password encryption

Appreciate it

Regards,

Asit A Patil