cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

256kbps link on Sync/Async serial interfaces...

ashok_boin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi all,

As per cisco docment, Sync/Async serial interfaces support max of 128Kbps. But for temporary lack of high speed ports, we have given 256Kbps customer through sync/async interface. During observation, due to his huge traffic , the 5 minute output rate (at our end) crosses 128 and almost it has reached 254Kbps. I expected after crossing 128kbps, there should be packet drops but didn't receive any complaint from customer. So, is that correct to use 256Kbps links, to use sync/async interfaces.

Thanks in advance..

Regards..

Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok
2 Replies 2

mark-obrien
Level 4
Level 4

Ashok,

I think you got lucky. The manufacurer specified a "design" maximum data rate. As is often the case, the actual maximum exceeds the design rate. In this instance, the actual rate almost doubled the design rate, but I wouldn't count on this being the case in the future.

I don't have any specific knowledge of how Cisco, or the manufacurer of this interface, has designed the card, but this is often the case when a spec is given in product literature.

Hope this helps.

forbesl
Level 1
Level 1

Ashok,

We have Cisco 2600 routers here with the sync/async interfaces and we frequently have 256K customers using these interfaces. We have had no problems with complaints. It is slower, of course, but we have experienced no packet drops. I suspect it kind of works like a computer; for example, a fast disk drive can be hampered by a bus with a low bandwidth, but it will still work.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card